Tyre pressures

PCMIKE

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've an A6 Quattro with 235/40x18 tyres (Michelin sports).
The standard pressure is 41 psi, and inside the petrol flap is says go to 51 if car full of people/luggage. As I'm going on holiday it will be, so i was going to increase the pressure until I noticed the tyres say a Max of 50 psi. As the tyres are recommended by Audi any ideas on what pressure i should use?
Many thanks,

I am guessing you have a C6? I have a non Q C6 and the fronts are 38psi but i never bother to pump it up when the car is loaded

I have a A6 C6 2.0 Tdi on `18 245/40's and don't really know what the pressure should be. the sticker on the fuel flap dosen't list this wheel / tyre configuration, despite them being factory fitted!!

If your are worried about it then pump them to 50 psi. I do appreciate your concern. I had a front tyre blow out at over 115 just past Lyon three weeks ago. I did pump the tyres up according to the instructions on the fuel flap and didn't pay enough attention to the front driver's side which had lost a significant amount of pressure.
I have always been a bit blase` about tyre pressures until now. I was extremely lucky and didn't panic meaning I didn't touch the brakes. I was driving on the busiest day in French motoring history and somehow managed to get to the hard shoulder over about 1.5 klicks.
Black smoke, sparks and a Lewis Hamilton style rubber flap gouging the sideskirt.

I have decided to buy an electric tyre pump on the basis that I find the garage experience too stressful and a put off. A good pump at hand will mean more checks and I will be far more respectful of the pressures as you seem to be.
Best, James

Lucky escape - this is one of my big nightmares.

Wasn't Saturday August 11th by any chance?? We also driving past Lyon on that day, from down near Cannes - what a nightmare - took 5 hours to go the first 150 miles. Never seen traffic like that.