Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Lightbulb Retro fit Xenon????

Hi all

Been thinking of fitting one of the aftermarket kits that have been discussed on here "hids4u", but I was wondering if it is possible to fit OE parts????

Any comments will be much appreciated
    1998 2.5tdi A6 avant, silver, retro-fit cruise control and satnav+, 18" (genuine) RS6 alloys, H&R lowered coil over kit (35mm), tinted windows........wish list alloy mirrors, stainless exhaust and remap (AMD let me down !!!)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    i once got a golf and ordered xenons but then the order was messed up and the didnt come on it. i wanted to get them fitted but i was told this was impossible because it is something to do with the wiring that is done at the factory. this could be the same as audi

nmb
    Reverse Gear

Status
    I don't know what year your A6 is.

the 2002 restyling I have is a mess to fit a aftermarket hid kit cause the way the bulbs sits at the optic lens. normally (I had an B5 A4 before) the bulb is fixed on the back of the lens with a spring and then and a connector clicks in. the A6 is very different. the bulb clicks on a connector housing and the whole bulb/connector thing attach to the optic lens. sorry to be such a mess with english language.

best bet is what I'm doing. keep looking on ebay for specific xenon headlights.

Reverse Gear

Status

Smile

I'm running an HID kit on my 2005 A6 and it works a treat.
    A bit tight to fit. The kit is quite good.
    Cost me around 280 which includes the bulbs, wiring and ballasts.

Even with the tricky electronics, the connector which you pull out of the original headlight goes into the ballast which inturn then connects to your new HID bulb. Easy peasy...

nmb
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Veeduber
    I'm running an HID kit on my 2005 A6 and it works a treat.
    A bit tight to fit. The kit is quite good.
    Cost me around 280 which includes the bulbs, wiring and ballasts.

Even with the tricky electronics, the connector which you pull out of the original headlight goes into the ballast which inturn then connects to your new HID bulb. Easy peasy...

but that's a C6 A6 right? the original H7 bulbs goes on the lens or on the connector?

I'll get some pics of the whole thing...

3rd Gear

Status
    Most of the aftermarket kits I have seen have a special bulb that fits in place of the original one. You cut the socket for the bulb off the loom then splice in the wires for the ballast, which comes with a replacement socket for the bulb.

Mine a manual

Status
    I have the exact same question.
    I've a 2001 Allroad without Xenons.
    If I was to get hold of some OE headlamp units, would these slot right in without wiring modification? My car has headlamp washers and auto beam adjustment as part of the standard spec car.
    I've also seen the following webpage:
    http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...alignment.html
    Does this mean that if the "new" units were installed they would need to be set up buy somebody with a VAG tool?. Does the car need to be told that it has Xenon's or is this not necessary / impossible to do?

thanks for any help....Adam

Mine a manual

Status

OEM Xenon fitted

Quote Originally Posted by dreddg
    Hi all

Been thinking of fitting one of the aftermarket kits that have been discussed on here "hids4u", but I was wondering if it is possible to fit OE parts????

Any comments will be much appreciated
    Dear All, My local Audi Dealer kindly fitted some OEM headlamps to my car.
    (My car is 2001 Allroad, headlamps were from 2001 Allroad)
    The car was in having the cambelt changed and therefore had the front bumper off. The mechanic put the Xenon headlamps into the car and then spent 10 minutes with his Laptop / headlamp alligment tool setting them up, so yes it is possible. I get the impression they didn't really want to do it though, but I was giving them quite a bit of money for the cambelt.

My 2001 Allroad already had auto-allignment + washers so it was pretty much a direct swap with a bit of configuration.

regards
    Last edited by Adam C; 4th October 2006 at 10:43.

Neutral

Status

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Adam C
    Dear All, My local Audi Dealer kindly fitted some OEM headlamps to my car.
    (My car is 2001 Allroad, headlamps were from 2001 Allroad)
    The car was in having the cambelt changed and therefore had the front bumper off. The mechanic put the Xenon headlamps into the car and then spent 10 minutes with his Laptop / headlamp alligment tool setting them up, so yes it is possible. I get the impression they didn't really want to do it though, but I was giving them quite a bit of money for the cambelt.

My 2001 Allroad already had auto-allignment + washers so it was pretty much a direct swap with a bit of configuration.

regards
    Adam, At what audi dealer did they do this for you? and how much did it cost to do?
    1998 2.5tdi A6 avant, silver, retro-fit cruise control and satnav+, 18" (genuine) RS6 alloys, H&R lowered coil over kit (35mm), tinted windows........wish list alloy mirrors, stainless exhaust and remap (AMD let me down !!!)

Mine a manual

Status
    Motorworld Audi Kiddlington, Oxford 01865 373735,
    They put them in as the same time as carrying out quite a bit of work, so I can't give you a price.
    Service manager that delt with was called Andy. I wasn't 100% happy with the work, I had to subsequently take the car to an MOT testing station to get the headlamps alligned correctly (they were way to high). The headlamps are fine now though. If I drive along a bumpy road you can see the headlamps adjusting themselves to stop blinding of oncomming traffic. All very clever.

Adam

Finally got my A6

Status
    Have used Hids4U before, have a set of H7 pilot hids in my vectra just now, not had any problem to talk of with the kits or the service I received from the company, most of my dealings was with a bloke called Ian. four of my friends ended up buying the kits for their cars after seing mine. No audi's though but the selection are:-
    Honda Integra Type R
    Alfa Romeo 156
    Hyundia Coupe
    Vauxhall Corsa C
    My Vectra.

TonyT
    2001 A6 Avant 1.8t, she's a little beauty.

Never drive faster than your gaurdian angel can fly.

Neutral

Status
    I've just fitted an HID4U H1 kit into my 2002 Allroad.
    The kit and instructions where brilliant, the Allroad - like the A6 gives you very little room to work with the lights in place. Finding room for the ballasts was a little tricky - ideal location would be under the headlight (as per factory fit) but that really needs the bumper off - may be next cambelt time.
    All I can say is the transition from the standard bulbs to the xenon was incredible.

I'm sure that projector headlights where designed for Xenons.
    2002 Allroad Tdi TIP Quattro, Merlin Purple + Recaro + HID4U Conversion