Up down window fault

SOULdOUT

Reaction score
'98 Audi A6 1.8t Saloon, both front electric windows have been playing up..

Depress button for window to go down.. drops.
Pull up and it shows an inch or so then dissappears back in door, pull it up again and u might get 6 inches.. then it goes back down again..

only way to get it shut is to hold it pull it and be gentle..

WHY?? and how to fix it..???

DSCF0053smlst.jpg

Window comes up then stops and returns back down again because of friction resistance in the runners/guides, which in turn kicks in the child safety (anti squashed finger) and opens window again!

Try blasting a silicon based lubricant into the felt runners (failing that WD) that the window slides up and down in.

SOULdOUT said:
'98 Audi A6 1.8t Saloon, both front electric windows have been playing up..

Depress button for window to go down.. drops.
Pull up and it shows an inch or so then dissappears back in door, pull it up again and u might get 6 inches.. then it goes back down again..

only way to get it shut is to hold it pull it and be gentle..

WHY?? and how to fix it..???

DSCF0053smlst.jpg

Mine does exactly the same (A6 98 1.8T) - i've now just disconnected the drivers window from the button unit and haven't bothered fixing it yet. Very interested to see how you fix yours though.

Sounds like regulater are broken, not a bad job
pop the door trim off and have a look to see if the green plastic clips are broken, there is sometimes bits in the bottom of the door.
If they need replacing you need to take the whole door frame out and rerivot the new one on 1.5 a side roughly by the time you readjust door frame

BTW loving the wheels

Had this on A6, S6 and RS6. It's damn annoying and in my opinion is a design fault. It's usually cured temporarily by lubricating the channels, but over a time stresses the regulators and they need replacing and guess what.... before too long it all happens again.