can somebody please clarify the difference

Gog

Reaction score
hi:)

first post so hello to you all:beerchug:

i want to buy a a6 diesel automatic but keep reading about tiptronic and multitronic and cvh:confused:

now i know tiptronic is the semi auto with the gear change on the steering wheel, but what are the other two?? or are the three things the same??

cheers for your time

G:beerchug:

the multitronic is a cvt gearbox while the tiptronic (5hp19) is a normal automatic gearbox.both have tiptronic functions.the steering wheel paddle or push buttons are options which you can order with your car

I have a mulitronic, they are great.

In normal drive mode and sport mode, there are no gear changes, it is a constantly variable gearbox, so it will go from 0 to max without any change of gear, just constant smooth power and acceleration. its great to drive.

Is manual mode (semi auto), it has 6 simulated gears, that you can use by pushing the gear lever up and down to change gears. The gear changes in this mode are responsive.

On the tiptronic, this is a 'standard' five speed automatic gear box, this manual mode (semi auto)
In normal or sport, basically the car goes from 0 to max, and it will rev up to max rpm and then change to the next gear and so on, just like a normal auto.

In manual (semi auto) it has 5 gears which you can manually select using up and down on the gear lever, the responce is less sport than the multitronic in this mode.

Hope this helps

The belts on the CVT gearbox need to be replaced which is a big job. If the car has big mileage you will have to factor this into the choice. The normal tiptronic needs the gearbox fluid changing every 40k miles which is a lot cheaper than a gearbox rebuild

enda1 said:
The belts on the CVT gearbox need to be replaced which is a big job. If the car has big mileage you will have to factor this into the choice. The normal tiptronic needs the gearbox fluid changing every 40k miles which is a lot cheaper than a gearbox rebuild

the multitronic cvt does not have belts but rather, chains.
XXL.Par.0400.Image.jpg

Avoid the Multi and go for the Tip. The multi has a very high fail rate. Talk to any master tech at a main dealer and you'll find out just how bad they really are. just to give you and idea how much Audi are trying to get out of having to pay for these. If the test procedure is done incorrectly not only will they not pay for the repair and throw out the warranty.

Get the TIP :)

86,000 miles on the multitronic and no problems yet. I do the oil change myself. Has anyone done a high mileage on a multitronic.