Front end clicking noise when turning

Keggers

Reaction score
So I have now noticed when turning on the driveway with a fair amount of lock on and whilst moving that there is a clicking sound coming from what sounds like the front off side wheel, I've checked the cv boots and they are all good but I did have both replaced 6 months ago.. I'm wondering if the joints are worn inside and this is my trouble? Any ideas? Advice? How can I confirm either way or am I looking in the wrong place..

There was a small mound of grease sat on one of the bushes under the cv joint but I can't see how it's got out of the boot!!

May just happen on the move, sometimes it the clamp isnt tight enough it can escape. When you had your cv replaced recently - where was the part from?

Unfortunately everything points towards a cv joint. I've had many issues with these in the past!!

This is what I would do:

Buy a driveshaft instead of just the CV joint from here -

J & R Trading (UK) Ltd Store

they come with a 2 year warranty and are very reasonably priced (around £50). Obviously therefore if you have any issues in 2 years they replace for free (I have used these guys a lot and have never had issues - there stuff is well made)

Change out the driveshaft.

Where are you based? If it is local I can do it for you

Cheers

New drive shaft fitted and noise has gone, took around 45 mins to do and cost around £54, thanks to the forum and some very helpful members,
Thank you

Result mate, just got your message. Has the clicking stopped? From what you said I would hope it has as it sounds as if the inner cv was gone.

Yep, all good, tool for the inner side took a bit of getting, twice as many teeth as a standard torx bit and 10mm, but an easy job on the whole when I had the right shaft!!

Sorry mate I should have said. I think they are 12 sided torx bits. Good news though, he'll of a lot easier than changing a cv joint too and a damn side less messy!

I agree, I'll have no fears if the other side goes!! Did you see my question about the slight amount of play on the gearbox side?

I actually mean with the shaft removed the collar that spins on the gearbox had a small amount of play in it when pushed and pulled! No noise now though so assume it's ok.

Ok mate, that's reassuring. Mines an auto, but for the life if me I can't see how to check the gearbox oil? Is it best left alone?

Garage job that mate. I wouldn't do it myself on an auto as you have to monitor the temperature on vagcom and fill it using a special pump. If you get it wrong the box will be toast.

I'll steer clear of that then..It's been serviced every year since new and I had the can belt done 2 years ago, only 67000 on the clock now but would like to keep it in tip top condition..I love it but would smile more if the mpg was a bit higher!! I guess the Quattro and auto and weight of the car as it's an estate are all against big mpg figures,,,still love it though .