Can anyone ID this part?

SiGainey

Reaction score
Looking to work out what this part is as it's clicking an causing me loss of power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[image]http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=3/7114391211.jpg&s=x10[/image]

It looks like a fuel accumulator, although I'd expect it to be nearer the engine than it is. If it is a fuel accumulator then it should be on the fuel rail.

A fuel accumulator keeps the fuel system pressurised so that fuel is delivered when the injectors open. It also returns excess fuel (when pressure gets too high) to the fuel tank.
If it is returning fuel at too low a pressure you will have fuel starvation symptons, i.e. loss of power.

Not sure it is an accumulator but hope I've helped.

Eye, thanks for the reply - I'm hunting for the MAF sensor on my 2000 1.8T A6 avant but canny find the begga! Any ideas where to look for that?

Si.

This is a solenoid valve. It is part of the system to prevent excessive loss of petrol fumes. It leads into a charcoal canister that collects petrol fumes from the tank. When you start the engine the solenoid valve is energised (opened) by the engine management system. This causes the engine vacuum to draw the fumes from the canister and burn them in the engine. The clicking sound you are hearing is the valve opening and closing. If you think this is the problem just unclip the electrical supply from the top of the valve. Hope this helps

Superb - thanks for the replies. Any idea where I can find the MAF sensor?

Only owned a4's and a3's i'm afraid, bu hopefully i can help.

1. Locate the airbox.
2. Follow the pipwork towards the throttle body.
3. The MAF sensor will be a sensor that is screwed into the air intake tract before the throttle body, usually very close to the airbox.

on most, its mounted on its own section of pipework too, which is clamped at both ends.

Yes, that's where I've seen it before but the only "electrical" connector I can find is RIGHT on top of the intercooler and is actually part of it...

Ok. Found it - for future refrence, it's right on top of the airbox and just by the solenoid - a black rubber bung directly south east on that picture (about 10cm away)