A6 Misfiring

enda1

Reaction score
Need some help/advice. My '99 A6 1.8T has developed a misfire and loss of power above 5K revs. The car has 67K on the clock. It's recently been serviced and all Audi parts were used. I don't have access to VAG.COM but I have a OBD11 scan tool and this is showing no faults. Before I bring it to the dealer to get the diagnostics checked is there anything obvious such as
1) Coil packs do they fail and can I check them with a multimeter
2) Fuel filter, how often does this need replacing
3) MAF, I know my brothers passat diesel has problems with these but are the petrol ones more reliable.

If there is anything I am missing, if so help would be appreciated.

leads and plugs? My dad had his car serviced with new leads and plugs etc, then driving under load / putting foot down car began to misfire....problem? A spark plug had cracked!

Simple repair but costly to trace as the garage searched for it. was too cold and wet for my old man to b bothered and have a look himself!

Thanks for the reply Dan. I changed the plugs but the problem is the same before and after the change

coil packs and maf are quite common problems on petrol engines

if you need any new VAG parts try www.vagparts.com , cheap than your local stealer

an easy way to see if the MAF has died is to drive the car with the sensor unplugged - if it's the same with the sensor unplugged then you can be almost sure it needs replacing.

I used a CTools scanner check the engine faults. i got the following code
"45AA Tank Breathing Valve-N80 Open circuit". Anyone know where this valve is and how easy is ti to access