starter motor issue

jackb_ms

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a strange fault with my A6 powered by the 2.5V6 tdi.

The issue I am experiencing, is that the starter motor will not always spin.

When the key is turned, the "clack" from the solenoid can be clearly heard, however the starter motor will not spin.
If the key is left in the start position, the starter motor may start to spin after sometime. I only did it a few times and the wait was about 30seconds.
Turning the ignition on and off half a dozen time usually trigger the starter motor to spin.

I have changed the key barrel, battery and starter motor within the last two years.
When, the starter motor was changed it solved the problem temporally.

I am a bit confused on what and where is the fault

Any pointer would be most welcomed.

Cheers

Jack

It sounds as if the contacts inside the starter motor are only connecting intermittently. Even though the starter motor has been changed over the past couple of years that is what I would replace first. A used starter from a breakers on eBay is only about £15/£20 and is a relatively easy swap to diagnose the issue. If that fixes it you could invest in a new one that will guarantee a longer lasting repair!

Hi Will

thanks you for your reply
Do you know where is the position of the starter motor on a 2.5 tdi V6
I've been looking for a exploded view but to no avail

Cheers

Jack

The starter motor is behind the alternator. If you are looking at the engine bay from the front of the vehicle, it's on the left and only visible from underneath.

Thanks Myth

I'll have a look at the weekend

I have made some further test and when i hold the ignition on for 20 seconds, turn the key back off then immediately after without removing the key from the barrel the car will start start with no issue.

I can repeat this all the time.

Also I have run Ross Tech Vag Com, there are some errors but not on the engine side of things.
In fact the report is that there is too much interference to run a diagnostic.

Any idea what that would point towards?

Cheers

JAck