Stereo Wiring Problem

twilliam

Reaction score
Hi all! New to the forum, and also a new Audi owner! Bought a 2003 A6 Avant last month and loving it. Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I've tried searching this forum and other Audi forums and no topics have had a solution for me. For reference, it is a standard non-Bose system in the car.

The previous owner had replaced the OEM stereo with an aftermarket one and no longer had the OEM, which was a little disappointing but no biggy. I pulled the rather ancient-looking Kenwood out to put my slightly less dated Sony unit in. Sadly, on removing the Kenwood I found that the previous owner didn't use a harness adapter and instead had hacked into the OEM loom.

I bought a harness adapter and I've got the Sony unit in, but I've got no sound from the rear speakers at the mo as I can't work out what the correct wires are. I understand how the rear speakers work in standard VAG systems (self-amped drivers), but no combination of the wires seems to be any good! Looking for a bit of advice and hoping somebody can suggest a solution as to what wire does what - maybe somebody else out there has the same colour wires as me! I've bought a yellow mini-ISO to jam the wires into.

Wires currently flapping around: -

- White/red
- White/blue
- White/brown (two going into one connector)
- White
- Orange/brown (no connector)
- Orange/green (no connector)

Wires that I need to find: -

- Rear right speaker
- Rear left speaker
- Remote amp switch on
- Com cable (not sure if this actually needs to be connected for rear speakers to work?)

I've checked all sorts of wiring diagrams and none of them have the same colour wires that I've been left with. Please have a gander at the attached photo. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Audi wires

I believe the rear speakers run from the amp built into the sub.

Is the sub plugged in? If you check in the cubbyhole on the drivers side you should see the plug.

I unplugged mine when I fitted my aftermarket sub and soon found out the rear door speakers didn't work.

I was under the impression there was not a sub as I have a non-Bose system? Driver's side cubby hole in the boot has no sub, but I seem to remember seeing a connector in there that wasn't plugged into anything, so perhaps the sub has been removed by previous owner.

All a6 have a Bose active subwoofer even non bose ones...

I had seen that thread before but assumed it would not apply to me as I thought my system had no sub.

Thanks for your advice, I'll have another look at it this weekend and see if I can do anything.