N75 and EGR delete

willh

Reaction score
Hi,

My car (2002 A6 130 AWX) has lost power from the turbo a couple of times over the last week. The intake and exhaust sides of the engine are standard at the moment, and the fault goes after a restart. I don't have the facilities to read the error codes.

One common component that I understand is worthwhile changing would be the N75 boost control/converter if the turbo is losing power, but I have an EGR delete kit to fit over the next couple of days as part of some planned efficiency upgrades. Does the EGR delete bypass the function of the N75 anyway, or are they independent systems?

Thanks,
Will

They are completely different systems.

Deleting the EGR will not increase your power or anything like that, it will just prevent clogging up the intake system. Don't get me wrong, I am pro deleting, just don't expect more power or better mpg.

The symptoms you describe means your car enters limp mode. From my experience, it's not the N75 actuator, but a clogged up turbo. Cleaning your turbo will fix your problem.

Thanks for your response, I will go ahead with the delete anyway as planned, but will look further into the limp mode issue.

I've had this happen before when an intake pipe from the intercooler was venting pressure slightly but had this repaired summer last year. It feels the same though, and cleaning up the turbo is probably good practice anyway on a high-miler barge like mine (184k and still clocking up!)

Many other things could be triggering this though couldn't they? Should really get VAG-COM connected up...

I had this and it turned out to be a leaking actuator on the turbo itself. Pull the pipe off it, suck on it & see if it holds the vacuum! If that is ok, do the same for all the vacuum hoses!
What I noticed on mine was if the revs came up quick enough, the vacuum pump would pull more vacuum than the leak let in & all was ok, however if you revved up slowly it would lose vacuum, allow the turbo actuator to close then not deliver the requested boost, so the computer would go to limp. The only way to see it on VCDS was by graphing requested boost against delivered boost which showed what was happening, but it doesn't point a finger & say vacuum leak, you still need to do some fault finding.

Good luck...

Cheers Andy, good shout. Will have a good suck this eve...!