Picking up an allroad

rhys084

Reaction score
Hi all

Next week I'm picking up a 2005 2.5 TDI final edition with only 24000 miles on the clock in mint condition and absolutely fully loaded as far a specification.

I want to do some preventative maintenance to make sure it's in tip top condition. So i was thinking baout the following:

*It hasn't had a timing belt change yet due to low mileage, now my understanding is timing belt change is mandatory at 75k miles but advisable every 5 years regardless of mileage. The belt visually looks like new, should i get it done straight away or would i be safe leaving it until it next needs a service?

*I was thinking if changing the oil immediately to a 507.00 spec for engine protection and longevity.

* Gear box oil change, i understand they are meant to be sealed for life and not strictly need changing, but it is advisable to change it for longevity.

Basically just looking for advice on any of the above or anything i haven't thought of, any contribution appreciated!

Also any advice on minor mods to subtly add to it's appeal would be great!!

I would get the belt done as soon as you pick the car up it's over 9 years old and should have been done a long time ago. rather than worry to much about long life oil I would change it every 5K miles. I would leave the gear box oil if it's only done 24K miles.

I would get the belt done as soon as you pick the car up it's over 9 years old and should have been done a long time ago. rather than worry to much about long life oil I would change it every 5K miles. I would leave the gear box oil if it's only done 24K miles.

Thanks, i suspected changing the timing belt would be best, just it's a lot of money for replacing something that looks to be a perfectly good working part! But i guess better safe than sorry as the bill for it going wrong will be a lot more!

Make sure the thermostat and all pulleys are changed too. And of corse the waterpump.

Don't worry about the gearbox oil if it's a manual. I changed mine at 190000 miles & it was still golden from new! Same went for the diff oil. Definitely do the cambelt, water pump etc. Don't use long life servicing, always use the standard 10000 miles as an absolute minimum, or annually if you don't do that many miles. Even better is to do it at 5000 miles or 6 months!

Every time it is jacked up, wipe clean the airbags as best you can to remove grit & dirt. This will help maintain them, as what causes problems is dirt getting rolled into the bags & wearing the fabric out.

Otherwise...enjoy!