Prefacelift & facelift - what body parts are interchangeable?

bullawayo

BargeFamilia
Reaction score
As per title - A6 C5 -

Prefacelift & facelift - what body parts are interchangeable?

I need a couple of new wings and have been restricting my search to just facelift wings. Are the prefacelift wings also able to fit my 2002 model?

Tried to search the forum and use google but still unable to find the answer. Any help would be MUCH appreciated as I desperately need a new set of wings! :(

Thanks

I don't know whether this is going to help or not:

I have a post-facelift S6 avant which I am breaking, and a pre-facelift S6 saloon - the front wings appear to be exactly the same, which would suggest you should be fine.

Having said that, I think I am right in saying that the S & RS6 wings are different to the A6 (wider?) so it might be that they are interchangeable on the S pre & post facelift due to being made in smaller numbers, so no changes occurring, but not necessarily on the A6.

Ok -

From what I understand; The headlights and bonnet are different however the wings and bumpers are the same. I know for a fact the rear is the same as I have a pre facelift rear bumper. Therefore i'd assume the fronts are the same.

Still unsure though, can anybody help?

Thanks for your help Dan! :D

Whereabouts are you?

If you are anywhere near the midlands, you are welcome to come and try one of mine if you want I have a post facelift (51 plate) drivers side wing already off the car

What is post facelift mate? There is facelift and then pre-facelift, post facelift suggests after it was introduced? confused haha

51 is pre isnt it?

Im based in Wokingham mate near Reading. I work in the midlands quite a lot at the moment though so that may well be an idea. Is it for sale?

Thanks again for your help man!

Ha ha - sorry, had been a long day yesterday!

I meant facelift! I thought 51 plate would be pre, but it definitely has all the facelift parts, so must have been an early one (I didn't actually realise there even was a facelift until I got the earlier saloon later)

It will be for sale yeah when I get round to sorting it out, as the whole car is being broken following spinning a conrod bearing, I am now using the saloon instead. It is off the car as it came like that when I bought it due to the previous owner using the drivers side wing as a parking aid, so he had already bought a spare to go on, but not fitted it yet.

I live in the Midlands, but work in Cardiff, so am around most weekends, but not necessarily during the week. Having said that, I work from home sometimes, and family are normally around, so as long as I have a bit of notice, somebody ought to be around - just shout if it is of any use to you to try it

Cheers

Dan

Mine's a 2002 which I believe is a facelift model, what are the differences then?

51 facelift here (early one I think), on a similar issue are rear light clusters interchangeable between them anyone?, mine both have crappy red tape mot repairs on them..

Mine's a 2002 which I believe is a facelift model, what are the differences then?

As far as I can see so far (and I am talking specifically S6 here, although I am sure most bits apply to the regular A6 as well. I am guessing that all RS6's are effectively facelift due to when they started production)

- Headlights (at least the xenons) are slightly different - projectors are a slightly different shape, although having tried both, I cant see any performance improvement on the newer ones
- Badging for the S6 is updated, from the older 'RS2' style audi sport badges to the the later style on front, back, kick trims in doors, steering wheel & dials
- metal trim rings round dials, and in the case of the S6, the S6 badge (as well as being the newer style badge) on dials is moved from rev counter to speedo (or the other way round, I cant remember!)
- My early S6 has a straightforward tiptronic box and shifter, with no sport setting (I believe it is effectively always in sport setting, as performance is same as facelift ones, so I assume my MPG suffers instead!) whereas the facelift has a sport setting on the shifter as well as the regular settings.
- Steering wheel is different, with reshaped tiptronic buttons
- I think that the avant rear lights are an updated look (as with facelift 8L A3s) but as far as I know, still fit the same
- I believe that all facelift C5s got the chromed, equal width to top grille, lower middle bumper grille (if you see what I mean!) whereas prior to facelift, only the S6 had this
- I also believe that there is a minor change in where the split between painted and unpainted sections are on the bumpers (I think that facelifts have more paint, less plastic) - Either bumper should fit either age, just a slight modernisation in looks
- From doing a few jobs, there seems to be minor differences in some internal components, although nothing I have found so far that wouldn't be interchangeable (i.e slightly different fastenings for wires etc) - again, this could be due to both being S6's though, and possibly lower volumes of components made, so suppliers changed mid-production etc.
- Rear number plate surround/fog lights bit changes from crappy slightly see-through black on early to gloss black on facelift

This is no means exhaustive, and as I say is a bit S6 specific, as it is fluke that I have a pre facelift and facelift model both on the drive (albeit 1 in far worse shape than the other!!) and also the facelift is an avant and the pre-facelift a saloon, so there are some differences there (such as rear lights) anyway

I would imagine that most parts will be interchangeable - Having worked with automotive suppliers in the past, and taken various VAG cars apart for years, manufacturers tend to be reluctant (unless forced to for technical reasons) to change fixing points etc as it just makes ongoing repairs etc more difficult, and involves re-tooling other components that may not be being facelifted (i.e having to retool the bumper/rad support if they change where the bumper actually fixes on, when this is unseen anyway) which is a waste of money for a small aesthetic improvement.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: quattrojames and mrnice
Great info thanks!, since first looking to buy a c5 I found the most obvious differences were the front grilles/fog lamp surrounds and the lack of exhaust cut outs on rear bumper. How sad..

Great info thanks!, since first looking to buy a c5 I found the most obvious differences were the front grilles/fog lamp surrounds and the lack of exhaust cut outs on rear bumper. How sad..

I don't think that counts as sad after my previous post!

As you say, I think the regular A6 got the fog lamp surround & lower grille similar/same as the S6 & the exhaust cut-out changes - None of that is on my S6's as that stayed the same for pre & facelift models on the S