I posted a few months ago about going to look at a 2.4 Quattro Avant and the general opinion was that the TDI models were a better option.
Well me and the OH have found ourselves looking at Petrol B6 A4 Avants but I can't help but stick my nose in here as one of the garages we are going to has a nice looking 04 A6 2.5 TDI Avant Quattro Sport in.
I've done a bit of googling and have come up with a few horror stories about the 2.5 V6 TDI engine. Can anyone shed any more light on these and what else to look for when viewing A6 Avants?
I am looking for a buyers guide/things to look out for list, from googling around I have found the following trouble points (along with general stuff you look at when buying a used motor)
1. Look out for clutch slip in high gears
2. Driveline judder when pulling away can indicate Quattro/DMF issues
Things that really worry me are that I find a large number of the following:-
1. Clutch/DMF failures (may be more FWD than Quattro) £600-£1k job.
2. Fuel Injection Pump failures £1k+
3. Camshaft failures £2-4k???
Can anyone comment if these issues are lessened on the later C5's or are they equally as common?
Can anyone tell me specific points on these cars to look into?