Volks AutosBadger5
    Clueless!

Status

Couple questions 2.5tdi/1.9tdi Quattro avant mpg and towing capability

Hi guys, I'm tempted to swap out my A4 for something a little more economical and more practical. So far the a6 tdi Quattro avant seems to tick the boxes.

How do both the 1.9tdi and 2.5 tdi fair when it comes to mpg when combined with the extra weight of the avant and quattro floor pan? Is the extra mpg from the 1.9tdi worth the loss in performance?

I'm thinking that I may one day want to tow my Nissan when going to track days etc, how do the above specs fair as a tow cars? I've heard somewhere they are rated at nearly two tonnes, is this true?

Many thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    A6 tdi quattro was not available with the 1.9Tdi engine, only with 2.5 tdi engine...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    I've never seen an A6 C5 1.9 Q! Only 2.5TDI. Might be wrong though. If you want to tow, then the torque of the V6 is you only option.

2nd Gear

Status
    A6 2.5 V6 tdi Quattro it is mate to tow a slow Datsun

1st Gear

Status
    I'd try to get a manual gearbox though, my personal preference.
    Regarding MPG, the 1.9 will be better, but I get an average of 46-50 mpg out of my 2.5, (FWD though!) A decent map improves it no end.

Clueless!

Status
    Cheers guys, didn't realise that the 1.9 wasn't available as a Quattro :o I'm guessing the Quattro would have a higher tow rating? If the v6 would get mid to high 40's on a run I'd be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    A6 2.5 V6 tdi Quattro it is mate to tow a slow Datsun

Ha ha small world mate. I am indeed thinking about dragging the slow Datsun to track days etc incase I break it again :D

2nd Gear

Status
    What did you do to it ?

Clueless!

Status
    The nissan, blew the head gasket in spectacular fassion and warped the head so badly I had to buy a new engine

I like the idea of having a daily driver which is both better on fuel than my 1.8t a4 and capible of towing the nissan. I'd imagine it would need a 2tonne capacity or there abouts.

1st Gear

Status
    If you want to save money over time, the 1.9 is the best option.
    Just in case you need to replace the thermostat on the v6, you need to (almost) remove the timing belt. If you have problems with almost everything on the engine, you need to take of the front end on the v6. On 1.9 it's far easier to keep it maintained.

I personally like the v6 for better performance, better sound and the mileage between the two engines are almost identical.

2nd Gear

Status
    That was a while ago, I do look in from time to time.

I'm thinking I over spent on mine and won't add up the invoices, but yours now ....

Clueless!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    If you want to save money over time, the 1.9 is the best option.
    Just in case you need to replace the thermostat on the v6, you need to (almost) remove the timing belt. If you have problems with almost everything on the engine, you need to take of the front end on the v6. On 1.9 it's far easier to keep it maintained.

I personally like the v6 for better performance, better sound and the mileage between the two engines are almost identical.
    Thanks for the input I'm thinking the 1.9tdi is out of the question now seeing as they don't do it with the quattro platform It's a good engine and seems to go on forever returning great mpg in my friends cars so it's a shame I do like the idea of the greater torque of the v6 though.

Thankfully I have a fully trained friendly mechanic who is always after extra work so maintenance isn't too bad, I got the cambelt swapped for less than £100 on my 1.8t including good parts as he owed me a favor :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gazwould View Post
    That was a while ago, I do look in from time to time.

I'm thinking I over spent on mine and won't add up the invoices, but yours now ....
    No comment :D I've spent far more than it's now worth that's for sure....

6th Gear

Status
    I would not dissmiss the 1.9Tdi just because it's FWD, it's more than capable, however, i would choose the v6 for every other reason ! I have a gttdi pd 130 golf mapped to 170Bhp, a old b5 1.9 tdi quattro sport with a few bits and bobs, a b6 s4 quattro mapped to 370-380 Bhp and a few more cars in between, i choose to drive the v6 diesels daily ...
    FOR SALE:
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Neutral

Status
    I tow Alfa race cars regularly with 2.5 Quattro Avant and its great - no problem with anything - would always choose manual box though, but don't think you'll see mid 40's mpg maybe high 30's normally and high 20's, maybe 30 when towing.

Its great when you drop the trailer off and still have 3 hours to do to get home, the first hour on reasonable A roads with sometimes but not always, no traffic and no trailer

Clueless!

Status
    40's on a run would be acceptable without a trailer Only reason I would dismiss the 1.9tdi is because it sounds like it's only available in the 2wd option which I would imagine would drop the tow rating as it does with the b5 A4...

Reverse Gear

Status
    A6 1.9tdi can tow 1800kg.

Thats enough for a trailer and a car.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 964russ View Post
    A6 1.9tdi can tow 1800kg.

Thats enough for a trailer and a car.
    I would say that's not the case with the 1.9 tdi, it's not about if it can tow but how it can tow ! A large, with plenty torque engine will make progress rather easy and will put the power on the road nicely, it will also be more stable with 4 wheel drive/braking and will be that much easier to pull the outfit up a slight incline... Also larger engines tend to have lower gears so they can cope with towing much better...
    To get the same load pulled with the smaller engine you need to slip the clutch as they do produce their max. torque much, much higher up the rev range. That's one of the reasons why diesel engines make good tow cars compared with petrol engines.
    FOR SALE: