tdi avant - vibration + smoke

barclay03

Reaction score
when the cars sittin idle it gives alot of vibration though the whole car, think its coming from the engine though, cars on around 57k, i think, so may just need a new timing belt? anyone had this problem?

its also kickin out quick a bit of smoke when first driven, ranging from blue, to grey, even to black.. not normal for a 3-4 year old car i wouldve thought?

cheers in advance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

With the vibration, it could be engine mounts. Mine started to vibrate after i had my cam belt done as the mounts were disturbed.

Could possibly be the exhaust too, migt be catching on the underchassis somewhere.

Or even the tyres, uneven pressures?

As for the smoke, when does it occur? startup? idling at traffic lights? or all the time??

smoke starts when cars fired up, takes about 10 mins of drivin or longer to stop, i know its usual for diesels to smoke but my dads passat tdi doesnt do that an thats older, car has been lying in the car dealers for a while though

Sounds like it could be the timing belt that's slipped a tooth and send the timing out.

Once had a Passat with exactly the same symptoms!-Turned out that it was a faulty crank pulley that was turning a little on it's shaft and sending the timing out!