1994 A6 Avante - Chopping the coils

little_gray

Reaction score
anyone on here done this at all - the car only cost me 1k for a daily chariot but it needs to be on the deck and spending £500 on adjustable coilovers is just daft.

if anyone could help that'd be great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Choping the coils, wot r u mad? do you want to die!
Have a look on ebay for sum lowering springs start at around £70+

ok man i'll have a peep after pay day - but then 40mm isn't enough drop...suppose i could get them heat treated and squashed more

Heat treating springs can have detrimental effects surely when you have a nice load on the car .i.e a caravan or trailer or even a boot full heavy rubbish to the tip.

each time metal is heated it loses some of it's strength / becmoes more brittle?? (CMIW?)

[ QUOTE ]
anyone on here done this at all - the car only cost me 1k for a daily chariot but it needs to be on the deck and spending £500 on adjustable coilovers is just daft.

if anyone could help that'd be great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you any idea what happens when you chop coils?

Imagine going over a hump back bridge a little to fast and your suspension goes to full travel...
well it won't, it'll extend, the springs will drop out and you'll have a really uncomfortable landing (and lots of noise/sparks/blood)

i do know what happens when you chop coils - used to do it on my old vw's - just wondered if it was any different on an audi.

once i've got a bit further into working on my a6 i'll post up some pics...it'll be a little different from the norm thats for sure.