2.5 tdi engine type

techhj

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have A6 2.5 tdi 2001 avant. eng code is AKN.

Can anyone tell me if this is one of the engine codes with the "Chocolate" cams as ADAMSS frequently refers to?

Further, Throughout loads of site research I cannot find any reference to any AKN code engines.

Is it any good, robust etc? Only fitted to a few models perhaps?

Any gen would be welcome.

Thanks.

All A** engines have the early cams/rocker arms setup, it's later B** series which have better cam roller heads, however the cams are hollow and prone to failure ! I would take an early type over a later "hollow" type, however the cam roller with solid cams is as strong as it gets ! I have rebuilt early type engines with Kolbenshmidt forged cams which have 3 years warranty, 60k since rebuilt and the cams are like new ! It's cars on "longlife" servicing or poor oil quality oil specs that made these engines prone to cam wear...

Thanks Chris.

If I am reading your answer correctly, A** have solid cams with sacrificial (Breakable) rockers, and B** has the hollow cams with better cam roller heads!! Please correct me if I have got that wrong.

My AKN engine has done 177k so far with regular oil changes at each 10k. (By me, correct spec). I now occasionally tow a 1500kg caravan and whereas the cars fine normally, it could definitely benefit with a bit more grunt for towing.

Can I do anything simple to get it up to 180/190ish and or would this be advisable (not)?

Many thanks.

AKN will do safely 200Bhp with just a few mods, i could supply you with a set of injector nozzles and a larger turbo + a tuning box for over 220-230Bhp. I had the same mods on my old a4 tdi quattro and that put 256Bhp on a dyno with a hybrid turbo and slightly larger nozzles ! Depending on year of manufacture, the AKN had either MSA15 ECU or EDC15, if the later -it could be remapped trough the OBD port. However i did not worked on a 2001 a6 with AKN engine yet so i cannot say for sure. Drop me a pm if you need to talk more, i prefer the early A** engines as they have more lift on the valves so technically you can get a little more power out of them. Also seen many early engines with immaculate top ends even past 200k, the key is regular oil change with quality oil- no "longlife" nonsense !
Changed a turbo on a 2007 audi a4 cabriolet 2.0Tdi, the last oil service was 27k ago and only had 3 services in it's whole life ! The oil was like trickle- no wonder the poor turbo gave up the gost ! I wonder how the oil pump drive is in that...