Interior Light Problem

6833jon

Reaction score
I am having a few problems with the interior lights on my a6 estate, and was wondering if anybody could help. It seems that the lights above the rear seat do not work when the doors are open, or if you position the switch to on... they only work if you turn the front light on (although the 2 individual reading lights work off their individual switches. Also the boot light doesnt work - with the exception of this morning when it worked once, but now isn't again!!

To top it off there is water leaking from the boot light - at a guess I would imagine the aerial is leaking.

Any ideas gratefully received guys!

First check the power is getting to the light fitting. If your getting water in the roof from the aerial seal and or the roof bar seals the connectors and the switch can corrode. A light coat of silicone sealant on a cotton bud stick (not the cotton end) will sort that.

Ideally remove the whole light assembly (gently old plastic will break) and check it direct. They are 3 position switches.

The light in the load area is driven from a microswich on the lock mechanism. Note all the interior lights are driven through the central locking unit. If that's 'damp' more things will fail.

Remove the cover and try a few manual presses.

I think its linked to the 12v supply (option) so check all the fuses.

Multimeter will help.

Excuse the split images...

Thanks for that. Ordered a new seal for the aerial, thanks to tonya4 for the spanner!! Also sorted me out with a different circuit board for the boot light - working ok now and no water from yesterdays / last nights rain so fingers crossed!

Just out of intrest where is the circuit board for the boot light ?

Its on the back of the light. Luckily for me is same light for A4 and A6

THANKS ! I have been having the same problem so great threat .

Just a quick update, changed the light above the rear seat for one off ebay, and it is now working fine - so must of been a fault on the circuit board

Just for reference

Access

Manky seal exposed

PCB on base.

Sorry for silly question in advance !
is the pcb for the light or for the ariel?
just checking i am assuming its for the ariel (just want to be sure )
thanks

Sorry for silly question in advance !
is the pcb for the light or for the ariel?
just checking i am assuming its for the ariel (just want to be sure )
thanks

Thats the pcb for the aerial. The light pcb is on the back of each light unit P1100116

cheers pal !
didnt want to nuke anything that didnt need touching. lol