MAF/AIR MASS SENSOR.... CAR SPECS??

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi,

I think im having problems with my MAF sensor. Can anyone please confirm all the symptons of a failed MAF unit?

My cars performance feels different everyday and it's not due to the weather conditions.

Does anyone know what the reading on a multimeter would be if i placed the contacts on those of my MAF unit?

Is there a anywhere where i can view the specs of my 155Bhp SE A6? I'm after the torque, bhp, 0-60 etc.

This is my first post on this forum so thanx in advance for any help you can share with me.

Regards,

Tdi_dan

failed mafs can give different symptoms as they go.

try disconnecting the maf, if the car suddenly gets better then the maf is faulty. (it goes into a default mode - dont leave it like that because it will overfuel.)

Having seen your other post - engine rebuild - then there are a lot of other posible things. pump timing would be one.

Hi,

Just had engine rebuilt and performance is the same. I've had an inkling about it being the maf for some time now. I've disconnected it and not much difference noted at all.

Also, when i have a few people in the car or especially when im towing the car has little power to pull.

My GF's Golf TDIGTi is 96Kw with 310nm torque. and the pull on that is unreal.

mine should be 110Kw with 310nm torque and is nowhere near the same.

0-60 for golf is 9.6..........
0-60 for 2.5 v6 audi is 9.8.....
appreciate the weight difference etc but mine is nowhere near when we both feel for the torque!!!

Hi,

took a deep breath and phoned an audi dealer, asking for a qoute on for my AFM!

To my suprise, prior ringing Audi, i looked on Bosch website with my part number and it came back stating that it was for a 2.5 V6 TDi PASSAT!

Seems they will use any engine they can get hold for Audi's!

Anyway, a massive sigh of relief came when the friendly salesperson told me £75.10 + VAT for the part!!

Genuine, brand new.
And I'm pretty certain that will have at least a 1year warrenty with it? (correct me if i'm wrong?)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif
So not badly priced after all i think.

I have just sold my 1.9 TDi Passat and bought a 2.5TDI A6. The MAF on my Passat went a couple of times (well 215000 miles is a long way). The symptons are as if the turbo is not working, no power, very slow acceleration, sudden loss of power when engine is put under load eg going up a hill. Easiest way to see if it's failed is drive the car for a while, get used to the power. Stop, disconnect the MAF, and then drive on. If there's no difference then its dead. As far as different MAFs for different cars are concerned, i wouldn't worry too much. There is a huge amount of discussion on this issue on Freds TDi page at www.tdiclub.com, where the VW disels are discussed. Audi and VW engines are very similar, i hesitate to say identical, but most parts are interchangeable. The last MAF i used was specified for a Merc, but the engine management systems were both Bosch and that 's what counts.
There are other sensors in the engine management system which give similar symptoms, and Freds TDi page has all the gen. Hope this helps.

The MAF went on my 1.8T, the symptons were like a misfire with no power and then pulling up at junctions etc, the engine would die completely which was fun as the power steering went. Also there was some pinking as the mixture was running too lean.

I unplugged the MAF to see how it ran, the car wouldn't start... Fitted the new one and eventually it came to life.

I rang the local car parts supplier, it cost about £75 for a exchange unit.They are apparently in short supply.