C5 Allroad - should or shouldn't I buy one?

GWhittell

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I owned a 2003 A4 2.5 Tdi Quattro SE Tiptronic with an option list as long as my arm a few years ago. It was a real head turner and an absolute pleasure to sit in - while stationary! As soon as you pressed the go pedal, the engine purred into life while the gearbox sat and pondered what to do next.. Eventually you were off and life was all good again.
Occasionally I had the urge to use the 180 horses that were looking for any excuse to start a stampede, again, the gearbox would have a think, kick down which made the engine rev higher but alas, it was some time before anything noticeable happened!

The final nail in the coffin was the cams wearing and a sudden misfire. £1600 later and we were moving again. Also worthy of note was the very poor fuel economy. Four wheel drive and that god awful gearbox took it's toll, 30 mpg combined and about 35mpg following Miss Daisy.

Time has moved on and so has the A4 along with a beautiful olive green TT 225 which replaced the A4. I'm now borrowing the missus's A3 2.0 Tdi Quattro 170 with panoramic roof, etc, etc for fun but plodding around in an A6 1.9 Tdi 110 as I'm doing a loft conversion and needed something practical. The car is truly amazing, nearly 2 tonnes but reports 50.9 mpg combined, 59 on a steady run.

My dilemma has come about as I've ended up owning a caravan, a big twin axle one at that. The A6 can legally pull it, and it's not far off the 85% recommended 'safe towing' guideline. The reality is somewhat different and occasionally there's a bit of a wobble when passing lorries if there is any kind of side wind. Also, Transit's etc. flying past at 90mph wakes me up too. So, I need a better tow car. My current thoughts are that I can either sell the A3 and get a Ford Kuga or a VW Tiguan or keep the A3 (which tows the caravan miles better but can't carry all the stuff that a 6 month, a 7 year old and a Missus comes with) and buy a cheap replacement for the 1.9 A6.

So, after my ramble I'd like to hear your thoughts on, or experiences with the C5 2.5 Tdi Allroad. Having owned the A4 which I believe shares the same awful Tiptronic gearbox as the Allroad, I would be looking at the manual 6 speed. I know all about the cam wear issue and I've read that the suspension on these beasts can be another money pit but apart (?) from that I quite fancy owing one. I'd be interested to see what mpg to expect and if anyone does tow a 1600 kg caravan any info on mpg and stability would be appreciated.

Apologies to everyone for mentioning a Ford, I didn't mean to offend!

Cheers,

GW

Allroad v6 tdi weighs 2 tonnes so you will struggle to get 35Mpg on a run. Quattro and weight does play havoc with the fuel economy, is your a6 an estate ? My avant c5 2.5 tdi quattro weighs in at 1750kg, your FWD a6 should be a good 150-200Kg lighter, however the AVG/AFN engines are very, very good on fuel, by far the most efficient engines VAG group ever made !

I have 2x allroads tdi, the manual W reg one does 30-35 Mpg and is my workhorse, the tiptronic 53 reg one does 28-30 Mpg and my other a6 v6 tdi quattro avant does over 40Mpg.

I use my manual allroad just for towing and i have a Ifor Williams car trailer with which i regularly move cars over 1.5-2 Tonnes without much bother...however the tiptronic box is much easier to drive on inclines without riding the clutch !

I would look for a later model 2003 on with the BAU 180Bhp engine, they have no issues with the cams but they can still give problems with the hollow cams, trouble is they are mostly auto, the manual ones are all 163 Bhp which is great on fuel but very underpowered for the size !

If you're happy with auto then i have a 53 reg going cheap, missus is not too happy with the size and she managed to hit a post even though the car has parking sensors fitted ! Drop me a line if interested, it's fully loaded:cruise, climate, ESP, factory fitted towbar, front/rear parking sensors,1/2 leather and alcantara interior and much more... Rebuilt engine with solid cams(no more hollow cams ticking bomb), rebuilt gearbox, new airbags and suspension compressor, full cambelt kit + water pump replaced by me ,full service history and much more ! Here's a link to the add in classifieds !

Classifieds: Audi allroad 2004 2.5 tdi quattro

Thanks for the reply, pm sent about the car for sale.

What is the car that does 40mpg? I drive 70 miles a day to work and back so mpg is a big factor. However, when towing the chicken shed the car has to be safe as all my eggs are in one basket. I was also considering a 3.0 A6 Avant (233) but I'd be getting it in the neck for spending all our money on cars! I love driving the A3 (220 Bhp) we have so was looking to only spend £2.5K on a replacement for the A6 1.9 Tdi 110 Avant I'm currently plodding around in.

I could get a standard A6 Avant and maybe squeeze a few more mpg but I kinda like the idea of the self levelling suspension while towing, not to mention playing in the fields and snow when that arrives in September...

If anyone else drives a standard (as in non allroad) A6 2.5 Avant manual I'd appreciate any feedback on economy.

Thanks in advance...

GW

What is the car that does 40mpg? I drive 70 miles a day to work and back so mpg is a big factor. However, when towing the chicken shed the car has to be safe as all my eggs are in one basket. I was also considering a 3.0 A6 Avant (233) but I'd be getting it in the neck for spending all our money on cars! I love driving the A3 (220 Bhp) we have so was looking to only spend £2.5K on a replacement for the A6 1.9 Tdi 110 Avant I'm currently plodding around in.

I could get a standard A6 Avant and maybe squeeze a few more mpg but I kinda like the idea of the self levelling suspension while towing, not to mention playing in the fields and snow when that arrives in September...

If anyone else drives a standard (as in non allroad) A6 2.5 Avant manual I'd appreciate any feedback on economy.

Thanks in advance...

GW
The car that does 40Mpg is a 2.5 tdi audi a6 avant quattro, search "a6 turbochip" on the forum ! The car is highly tuned and it does not run too clean- had to drop to old tune as the clutch is slipping- need a Sachs SRE clutch to hold the power as it's running 270- 300 Bhp depending on tune !

Mines a 2001 AYM 155 remapped to about 195, 2WD 6 speed man, on a long run i get between 48-52 MPG. Around town about 38.
Regards.
Wes

Thanks in advance...

GW
You won't be disappointed with the way they perform in the winter, this is my old allroad manual before the paint job ! Click on the picture for the link/video !

It's rather boring to drive in circles but there are high curbs hidden in the snow if you look closely so i could not take a chance on hitting them whilst skidding ! This is how the allroad looks now :