To fix or not to fix...

amimmortal

Reaction score
So, my time with the A6 will shortly be coming to a close - I'm ordering a new company car (switching to a Volvo V70, for my sins...)

My car is currently sitting on 69,500 miles, and will be due a service in May (although it's still 2000 miles short of the service according to the service indicator).

The last year has been tough - between imploding EGR valves, blown oil cooler, and all the other stuff that had to get fixed as a result, I've spent around £2000 keeping it in good order.

Having said that (now that the noise from the brake guard plate has been eliminated) it's running smooth as silk. There are just a couple of niggles, which I may or may not be getting sorted before I sell it - which is the point of this post (i'm getting there...)

Basically, the rear speakers and subwoofer aren't working - they occasionally pipe up, but more often than not, they are silent. I spoke to an auto electrician, explained what was happening, detailed some of the problems I've had with water ingress (split washer hose, flooded scuttle, and (most recently) the heater matrix) and he was fairly sure it had to do with water getting into where it shouldn't.

The remedy, he explained, was to either a) follow the course of the cablework and eliminate any corrosion or other problems encountered, or b) simply run new cablework to replace the faulty ones. He's quoting £35+VAT per hour, and it sounds like at least 2-3 hours work, assuming the problem is straightforward.

I've been looking at similar cars on autotrader - none with as few miles as mine - and I'm encouraged by the prices I'm seeing. For example, this:

Audi A6 1.9 TDI Final Edition 5dr Multitronic 2 owners, full service history 2005

Granted, it's a trade sale, so I shouldn't expect to get that privately, but my car has 20,000 fewer miles, and one less owner.

I'm planning to service the car before putting it on the market - it will probably benefit from two new tyres on the back, and I'll probably get the multitronic box serviced (even though it isn't due for another 10,000 miles).

So, assuming I do that, how much could I expect to reduce the price by?

There is also this one, which is a private sale, with almost double the miles:

Audi A6 1.9 TDI Final Edition 5dr Multitronic Avant 2005

So, on this basis, would £5000 ono be a fair price to ask for the car? It'll have 6 months tax and MOT remaining.

Any advice would be welcome - I basically just need to know if I should get the stereo sorted or not, and how much I would expect to drop the price by.

Thanks all!

A.

I think £5000 is asking a bit too much, I would do a bit more research.

I think £5000 is asking a bit too much, I would do a bit more research.

I agree - I wouldn't expect to get that for it, especially if the rear speakers aren't sorted first. I just want to pitch at a price that doesn't scare too many people away.

I have done plenty of research - Glass's Guide, Parkers, even WBAC. There is already some interest locally so I'm hopeful of a bit of word of mouth marketing too.

I was told last year by an Audi technician that the car in this spec, with this history and mileage, is one of the most sought after of this marque and year. His words were "there will be people biting your hand off for this car when you sell it", or words to that effect...

How about putting it on for around £4695, with 6 months MOT and tax, with a full service history (Audi/ Star Performance), and a brand new service (including multitronic box, just to be sure). That would put it slap bang in the mid point of sales prices on Autotrader.

Sound reasonable?

A.

Problem solved...

Just traded in the car for a brand new A6 Avant Black Edition :)

Got a fair trade in, plus a hefty discount and affordable payment on PCP.

Pick it up next week!

A.