Nav+ upgrade

Chrisw4266

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm thinking of upgrading my symphony II for the navigation plus unit the RNS-D I was wondering what's involved in the conversion. The standard unit is a symphony II with Bose amp.
any advice on what is required wiring wise and coding would be great below is the rear connections on my existing unit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 239
Why not go for the RNS-E, far better system than the D version.

So just plug and play will I need a GPS aerial ? Didn't want to go for the RNS-e as I've heard it's a bit of a job to wire up. I've looked at the connectors on the nav+ unit it seems to have a plug I don't have in my loom could anyone shed some light on this cheers Chris.

the plugs you got going in to your current unit is the same as the RNS-d unit.
The RNS-e has a different plug, I can't remember what it's called but you'll need a converter if you was going to use it.

The RNS-d is pretty much plug and play but if you want any extras, like CD changer, Ipod, TV, TMC and such you'll need to be extra boxes and cables to wire them in.
Unless you already for the change and/or ipod connection.

Not fussed on cd iPod connection would be nice also would I be able to connect a parrot Bluetooth to the nav+ unit?
the idea of plug and play appeals to me so that's why I'd prefer the older nav. This pic shows the nav + connections I don't have the plug for the long socket on the left middle of the unit what does this do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 182
So Scott if I want to install the nav+ all I need is to get a unit plug in with a GPS aerial and have the unit coded for Bose that's it ? Cheers Chris

Going from a symphony II to RNS-D is not plug and play at all. Going from Symphony II to RNS-E in a C5 chassis is easier than then RNS-D conversion.

The RNS-D requires a TMC module to talk to the cluster and get TMC, it requires a switched live feed, illumination feed, speed signal feed at a minimum.

The RNS-E just requires a speed signal feed and a set of plug and play adaptors for wiring and antenna

So the RNS-E would be the easier installation and a far better system.

Thanks Craig so I would need the unit, antenna and lead from old iso style plugs to new "quadralock" (I think there called) type connectors. Cheers your right about the newer been a better unit any clue to which version ie part no or sw type I should look for also is it compatible with the Bose system in my allroad ?

Going from a symphony II to RNS-D is not plug and play at all. Going from Symphony II to RNS-E in a C5 chassis is easier than then RNS-D conversion.

The RNS-D requires a TMC module to talk to the cluster and get TMC, it requires a switched live feed, illumination feed, speed signal feed at a minimum.

The RNS-E just requires a speed signal feed and a set of plug and play adaptors for wiring and antenna

So the RNS-E would be the easier installation and a far better system.

TMC don't need all that does it?
There are only 6 cable used.
4 can bus cables and 2 power leads.
Why would a TMC want illumination and speed?

The RNS-d in its most basic set up is more plug and play than a RNS-e.
OK you lose the cluster signal for the direction and that's it?

Granted it is a better unit but almost double in price not everyone can afford it, so they might have taken their financial situation on board when deciding a unit.

Soon as any one mentions RNS-d everyone jumps up yelling RNS-e.
Back to my lemsip. :thumbup:

Symphony 2 uses Audi infotainment can-bus for the illumination, switched live etc, unlike the old Symphony 1 on the B5 A4 where there is no can-bus (unless you have the facelift cluster on the B5) and is all done by signal wires. It also uses the TCM module to convert the Audi bus signals, like illumination and speed into Bosch can-bus which the RNS-D can read.

It's very true the RNS-D is the cheaper option, and if you want to save money and want inbuilt nav then there is nothing wrong with the RNS-D, but if you want to spend the extra money then the RNS-E would be the better option as it's got Inbuilt TMC, larger screen, faster route guidance, 1 DVD with euro mapping, AUX in, Audi Bluetooth compatible, SD Card slots for MP3 and instrument cluster coms without any extra module.

right guys lets sort this not fussed about the units just looking for a hassle free installation. I have someone to do the coding but I will be fitting the components. Yes the RNS-E looks nicer but is way pricer and isn't what was fitted to my allroad at that time so to keep it original I was looking at the RNS-D. However it now sounds like this will be more of a job than first expected. Could some one tell me which will be the simplest to fit and source as in different part no.s etc ? Cheers Chris
P.S. I'm a noob to Audi's but have been working on cars for the last 19 years and I'm a Master Technician for Honda so complicated stuff doesn't scare me, spending money on incompatible stuff does :gaehn:

The RNS-E was fitted to the allroad at 2004, so it is compatible with your car. It's a much simpler fit than the RNS-D, with a symphony Ii already in place then you have everything you need except for the speed signal from the cluster. The plug and play harness is simple enough.

This is what you need for the plug and play harness

RNS-E Bundle RNS-E Adapter + antenna adapter + Unlock key-34521

Just select A6 4B, symphony II, BOSE, CD changer and phone and you will get everything you need.

Then find an RNS-E part number 4B0 035 192 for A6 and run one speed pulse wire from the cluster, job done.

The RNS-D can be fitted, but really from a symohony II to RNS-D it's a backwards step wiring wise. As stated before you need to get more wires from the cluster and without a TMC module you will lose the DIS and navigation directions as well and the TMC functionality.
All of which is built into the RNS-E so no extra wiring or parts are required.

It also uses the TCM module to convert the Audi bus signals, like illumination and speed into Bosch can-bus which the RNS-D can read.

No it doesn't. It only converts bosch can to infotainment can for the cluster DIS and radio and receives TMC information for the rRNS-D, everything else is hard wired like illumination, speed pulse, switched live etc.

I meant the RNS-D requires switched live, illumination and speed pulse. As you state the TMC only has 6 wires.

TMC don't need all that does it?
There are only 6 cable used.
4 can bus cables and 2 power leads.
Why would a TMC want illumination and speed?

The RNS-d in its most basic set up is more plug and play than a RNS-e.
OK you lose the cluster signal for the direction and that's it?

Granted it is a better unit but almost double in price not everyone can afford it, so they might have taken their financial situation on board when deciding a unit.

Soon as any one mentions RNS-d everyone jumps up yelling RNS-e.
Back to my lemsip. :thumbup:

Cheers Craig will start looking for a suitable RNS -e will I be able to add my parrot ck3100 to this setup?
looked at fitting it to the symphonyII and noticed there was no speaker connections at the head unit.

Would part no. 80E 035 192 Q be ok. This units local to me so could pick it up and check its not battered before handing over the cash.

4B0 is the A6 shape, 8E0 ss the A4 shape, 8P0 A3, 8J is the TT etc, so get the right one for your car.

Just had a look on ebay and what I have noticed is some people selling MK2 LED units with A6 faceplates, do not buy one of these as it will not work correctly on your car. RNS-E MK2 PU units do not work in an A6.

4B0 is the A6 shape, 8E0 ss the A4 shape, 8P0 A3, 8J is the TT etc, so get the right one for your car.

Just had a look on ebay and what I have noticed is some people selling MK2 LED units with A6 faceplates, do not buy one of these as it will not work correctly on your car. RNS-E MK2 PU units do not work in an A6.

For pure information purposes.

Why does it not work?

Cheers Craig so the first 3 digits of the part no. give the shape of the unit or vehicle designation.

It does not work because the A6 requires a speed pulse wire to move the navigation, the PU units do not have that, so the nav will not work correctly.

Just to confuse matters further a friend of mine is thinking of selling his kenwood dnx520 how hat is it to fit after market stuff to the allroad with Bose. I know I would lose the radio display in the DIS but that's a small price to pay as this unit has Bluetooth and iPod connections built in with no extra boxes needed. Sorry to add to the confusion all this is making my brain hurt.

To be honest I have no experience of 3rd party units into Audi's so I will have to bow out if you go aftermarket. But switched live, illumination and speed pulse will still probably be an issue.

Have found some adapter leads from auto leads and connects 2 so could be an option