Gearbox identification

Chrisw4266

Reaction score
Gearbox identification
Hi everyone I just bought a '03 allroad 2.5TDI auto an was hoping some one could shed some light on what type of gearbox is fitted to it it's a 5 speed auto with a manual mode on the shifter and buttons on the steering wheel. Any help would be great cheers Chris.

isn't the gearboc code on the sticker either in the service book or the spare wheel well?

I just wanted to know if it was a multitronic cvt or a tiptronic normal auto. Cheers for the reply.

Yeah, it's a tiptronic gearbox with a conventional torque convertor- not usually go wrong but i have 1 allroad on which the gearbox failed twice: when the car was 2.5-3 years old and the box ben replaced under waranty and then 2 years ago, when also costed the previous owner £1800 ! Oil changes with corect gearbox fluid do keep them working nice and smooth...

Cheers Adam I've got FASH but do they change the G'box oil on service? if not what kind of a job is it? Did the oil an filter on my old sharan 1.9tdi auto was a right pain had to run up to a specific temp and fill till it spilled out of the drain plug/level plug overly complicated in my opinion lol.

PS thanks to whoever moved this thread to the correct forum newby error sorry.

Planing on doing a gearbox oil and filter change soon I've been told its a bit if a faff to do. The only difficult part seems to be refilling is it necessary to have vagcom or can I just warm the 'box up and use a infrared probe to check the temp ? I've done this on a previous VW sharan auto and all went well. The sharan had a dipstick tube to fill it but don't think my allroad does so will I need a pump to fill it via the drain/fill bung?
Cheers Chris.