GAH!!! OIL!!! Where to start?! 2.4 V6 Auto with problems

@udi A3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.immotec.co.uk
Ok so i need a little advice and motivation on where to start and how to go about it!

Its a V reg 2.4 auto V6
Since owning it it has always smelt of burning oil, although personally i think it smells more like rubber.
I know the cam covers have leaked oil into the plugs area.
The whole front of the engine is gunked up in crud. Today I noticed oil smokeing on the downpipe on the driver side.
I Have googled a little, and it looks like the best way to tackle it is to go as far as taking the cams out and fitting seals all the way back up.
Is there any workshop manual covering this repair in detail? Anybody have a photo diary from them doing this?

Where is the best place to buy parts? I keep finding 2.7 and 2.8 engine parts, but no 2.4, are there any differences? where is the engine code on this engine?
Is there any need to replace the cam chain tensioners etc?

The only other big problem is the lack of reverse. How is the gearbox drained and filled on this? its a 5speed tiptronic auto box.

Going to be a busy weekend!

Thanks.

For starters

ElsaWeb - Draining ATF and filling up after repairs

ElsaWeb - Removing and installing cylinder head cover (left-side)

GSF and Eurocarparts all hold 2.4 parts.

It its what I think it is you should not need to lift the cams just the rocker covers. Its a DIY if you have tools and time.

First off cover the electrical parts with sandwich bags and or tin foil, apply a whole tin of gunk to the engine and bay, agitate, wait 1.2 hour and then jet wash....

I accept no liability for the outcome or any damage jet washing an engine bay! But it is fun and rewarding!

The coil packs will have to come off (with care) if your service history is light time to put in new set of plugs too.

The inner and outer rocker cover gaskets go hard and the oil weeps out. Be very careful removing the old ones as they can 'shatter' leaving a very big clean up job.
Don't be tempted to just do the outer gasket.
A small blob or two of hi temp sealant also required at the gasket and cover joints and on end seals. Halfords stock Loctite 5910 Black Silicone mucky but great for this job. Don't be tempted to silicone up the whole gasket.
[h=1][/h]Transmission fluid and filter replacement is an **** of a job. I left it to my local Indy.

If you have a fault get a VAG COM / VCDS scan as the mechatronic ECU in the box can fault. Any dash lights?

Hi typhoon,

There are no warning lights for the gearbox, so im hoping its just lack of oil when trying to reverse uphill the oil goes to the front of the box. I have vagcom so all good on that front. Indy quoted £120 to do a box oil service, but suggested the controller is likely knackered ( it still reverses on flat ground so dont think thats the issue is it?)

I did buy a pair of gaskets with inners for the rocker cover, but google left me thinking theres going to be more to do. Maybe i should do those first and see?

I was planning to leave the car with Whites to have the engine bay detailed and the interior cleaned up but for the purpose of checking all is good i guess gunk will do!

Those links to Elsaweb dont work?

Thanks.

Links work in Chrome
MS IE screws em up
Data is supposed to have been withdrawn due to copyright.
If the mech was out it would throw a code so you may be lucky!
£120 is good...oil n filter about £100 retail ISTR

I get this error and a 404 error.
Is there a place to download or buy elsaweb?

BMW TIS and WDS removed by request from BMW AG
Volkswagen / Audi / Å koda / Seat TIS (ElsaWeb) removed by request from Volkswagen AG

Weird I'm looking at it now...

May be a security setting thing

Ebay...about £5 or less.... search Elsawin Audi and look for V4

Well, today she nagged me enough to crack on with it!
Passenger side rocker off, nice and brittle but pretty drama free, and clearly the worst of the two sides. However the breather pipes crumbled into many peices whislt trying carefully to remove them.

I dug a bit deeper , took the intake off the throttle body and found one of the breathers already broken off, leaking sludge all over the bellhousing. One smely oily source found! nw just need to order new pipes and then do the other rocker!

Not a bad engine to work on either tbh, pleasantly suprised.

had a flick through the haynes for an a4, assuming they are the same box, looks like im better off taking it to the indy. I should look into it, does vcds measure the box temp/level etc?

Car is off the road now until i get new breather pipes.

You need a special machine to fill it and vcds to check the temp off the oil.
Does the gearbox say little or no communication?
You can buy the solenoids separately , does the box (A)slip at all when hot or(B) is slow to engage when cold?
if A this is high clutch pack or B solenoids

No the problem is his box wont reverse up hills.... I think its scared of heights?

If its like my DSG the Measurement Block for oil temp is 019
If I had the car today I would check....

There is a ghetto filling method but I go Indy, drink their coffee and used there wifi.

New BRIGHT PINK 16mm breather hose made up from straight lenths using the original ends and fastened with zip ties!
Still has a nasty burnt oil smell after a drive from the residue under the bonnet, but seems a bit more responsive to drive also. I think there was one pipe actually missin when i pulled it all off, could explain the massive dripping mess and better running now the breather system is sealed!

Still not fixed the gearbox oil issue, should be next on the list though.