Sat Nav Thinks I'm 50 miles from where I am!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Lion Heart

Reaction score
Hi guys

Bit of an odd one...

In our 2005 A6 C5 Avant Final Edition the Sat Nav has thrown a wobbly!

Basically, it seems to operate ok, but it seems to think I'm around 50 miles from where I actually am!!!

You can see it trying to direct me, but of course it's directing from a different town!!

Very odd. ANy ideas what would cause this?

Many thanks!!!

My guess is a bad GPS antenna, water can get into the GPS unit on the roof. A cheap fix is to get one of these GPS ANTENNA FAKRA RNS E 510 DVD MFD 3 COMAND VW AUDI BMW MERCEDES NTG 2.5 4 4.5 | eBay
To install remove the nav unit and the glove box the antenna is magnetic and fits on the metal cross member which is under the dash, then just unplug the blue connector on the back of the navigation and plug in the new connector.

Another option is to replace the GPS antenna, which are around £90-£100 from Audi.

Hi there

Thanks for that! I've just bought that aerial and will give it a go!!

Do I really need to remove the glove box?? Is that hard?

Stereo unit itself (nav unit) I can remove easily enough,, but never removed the glove box before!!

Also, will it get a good enough signal under the dash? I assumed it needed 'line of sight' to the satellites??

Many thank!

The best place is in the corner, the glove box is easy enough, it's only held in 5-6 screws and you will need an M8 socket. They are very easy to remove and you don't need to disconnect any wires. You could just pull the nav out and put the GPS antenna on the dash for a quick test and make sure it's picking up your correct location.

Don't suppose you have an image of where you fitted yours? Is it between the centre console and glove box, or on top of the glove box?

I've put mine behind the speedo/clocks ontop of the metal support. They're magnetic so stay there nicely.

Hi guys

quick update on this. All solved!

Fitted the new eBay Sat Nav aerial and it's completely resolved!

The glove box is really easy to remove. Three screws at the top, and two at the bottom and the whole thing drops out. Dead easy DIY.

For the placement of the aerial, in my A6 I placed it on top of the tube which feeds the air to the vent on the left side of the dashboard. Used double-sided number plate tape.

There is also a nice spot where it could be stuck on to the underside of the plastic of the dash, but then it would be upside down, and some aerials (I think!) have a magnetic bottom which may hinder the signal?

So mine is around 2 inches from the underside of the dash plastic, stuck on top of the plastic pipework that feeds the vent on the left side.

Did a 3 hour test run a few days back and it didn't miss a beat.

The cheapest and easiest solution for this issue! Beats ripping all your headlining out to get to the factory aerial!!