Noise problem S6 2000

Bigsix

Reaction score
Hi! i have a 2000 S6, when I pass the bump or uneven road, there are some " knock knock" sounds seems come from the left front wheel. I did changed all the ball-joint, cv joint and even swap the suspension, but still heard the sounds. Should I also change all the bushes ?

This may seem obvious, but have you checked brake pads/caliper slider bolts?, these can cause annoying clunking if the pads are low and slider bolts are dirty/ungreased

Thanks. I'm using AP brake/Disc. Sounds seems not come from the brake. Sound like something knocking underneath hollowly.

Worse under braking?
Normally say its the upper / lower control arms but you say you changed them? The lower arms will give a knock and wobble on breaking from around 60mph.
Wheel bearings?
Steering rack?

If its any of these you should be able to jack it up (both side) and give everything a really good shake.
Then take the wheels off and try again.

Have you had the wheels of recently?
Sounds daft but with the floating discs I cured one such noise by spinning the wheel round 1 bolt hole.

Nothing wrong with braking. some one just said maybe the bushed links with ARB or the undertray not fitted properly. Will find out then report back. thanks!

After fixed the ARB bushes & links. Still have the sounds and come frequently. not on the flat road, it's only come when pass the uneven road. sounds like knocking on a plastic box hollowly come near the left front wheel.

shocks? something with the air suspension? or i had a similar problem, turned out the top mount was loose

Not shocks. It's had knocking sound when passed the uneven road(I thought sounds come from the storage drawer in front of the passenger seat, but it's not, seems something knocking on plastic underneath. Not always but usually). I even swap the suspension but the sound still come from the same side. Nothing can do from my mechanic.

I had a similar problem with my A6, an annoying rattle, couldnt find it for ages. Got there in the end, was endfloat in the blower motor!
Worth a look! easy to get to, and easy to remove.

Checked with another mechanic yesterday and he said sounds should come from the interior(maybe something loose behind the glove box in front of the paasenger seat).
The sounds is like knocking on plastic hollowly comes only on uneven road. Anyway, I would also like to check the blower motor, but where can find the blower motor ? Do you have the picture of the place? Thx.

Checked with another mechanic yesterday and he said sounds should come from the interior(maybe something loose behind the glove box in front of the paasenger seat).
The sounds is like knocking on plastic hollowly comes only on uneven road. Anyway, I would also like to check the blower motor, but where can find the blower motor ? Do you have the picture of the place? Thx.

Take glove box out, only 5 screws i think, really easy access to blower motor right in front of you. 30 min job. as I said mine was driving me mad, took ages to work it out. I think there are only 3 screws holding motor in place.

Regards.
Wes

Last edited:
Thank you! Also found out that there is no rattle if the A/C is off. Only happen when the A/C is switch on. So, should be the Blower Motor?

Thank you! Also found out that there is no rattle if the A/C is off. Only happen when the A/C is switch on. So, should be the Blower Motor?

Got to worth a try! I got a secondhand one off ebay, cost £20 posted!