Disconnecting Battery on Audi A6 quattro

Keggers

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have today found my passenger foot well flooded with water and have learnt from this site that its the drain plug under the battery, My question though is what will happen to my radio if i disconnect the battery, i do not have the code as the previous owner never passed it on? I think i need to remove the battery to properly clean out the blockage? Will the code be lost or do i have a time frame to have it connected back on the car? any advice much appreciated. thankyou.

With mine, radio only needs code if the radio itself is removed from the car, it is fine if battery is disconnected or if fuse blows. It states this in my radio instuction book and I have found it out to be true but my radio may be different to yours.

How about connection spare battery/starter pack to the connections before you remove the battery? can put -ve on any part of chassis so only have to worry about the +ve terminal?

It is a pain if you do need the radio code and dont have it as as far as I am aware it is a dealer only job to extract it as car needs to communicate with germany.

Thanks ms1083, just trying to save myself any more expense, its to dark to look now but i' am not sure how easy it will be to connect another battery to the +ve cable on the battery already connected, hadn't thought of that idea but might be worth a try, Dont fancy risking the cost of a new code, i'll take a look at my book for the radio regarding loss of power and see if there's any info first, thanks again, hopefully someone else will confirm a disconnected battery will not lose the radio code!!

If it helps car is audi a6 allroad, 2.5tdi 2004. radio is audi navigation plus. when i replaced my battery i did manage to connect my car starter to terminals before removing battery as i too do not have pin code and was worrying about big costs from dealer. Space was ok, I got some mains cable and, being rigid, managed to twist it tightly round terminals before disconnection.

However... since then the battery has been totally removed for a consideral time when a new gearbox was being fitted at independent audi garage and radio did not need pin code on reconnection. I have also blown its fuse since and all was ok.

Apparantly audi security is rather good and only easy way to get pin code is using a dealer's computer which plugs into car and verifys car identity on germany database before the pin code is released. Of course only dealers can connect to this system! Otherwise I think entire radio can be sent somewhere and PIN either reset or read. If anyone else knows any way of extracting PIN code I would love to know.

I hope to never need the PIN as it sounds expensive to get hold of it.

Well, I decided this important enough to take the day of work and make a start on saving myself some big expense..I managed to piggy back another battery to the terminals of the car as there were some 6 mm holes pre tapped in them so this was straight forward, removed the wiper arms then the plastic strip from underneath them, then removed the car battery, the holes underneath were completely blocked and it looks like the water level has risen and leaked through the pollen filter base due to a perished gasket, I have now cleaned it all up and added a silicon gasket as mentioned elsewhere on this forum and cleaned all drain holes and refitted all back together, think i will test it when the silicon is dry/ cured. My next task is to dry out the foot well on the passenger side, i've managed to raise the carpet to get a fair look under and its saturated, not sure if I can do a proper job without removing the seat but am unsure what's involved in this, there are a few connectors and cables attached to it and I Dont want any air bag trouble!!! Does anyone know what unplugging all the wires will do if anything?

Don't know about cables into the seat regarding abs but the big box in the pasenger footwell with loads of cables is the central locking/intrior light/comfort system. It can fail if it gets wet (often months later when the corrosion kicks in). Worth taking it out and drying it very well now. no probs if you do disconnect it, all settings fine when goes back in.

Well, I decided this important enough to take the day of work and make a start on saving myself some big expense..I managed to piggy back another battery to the terminals of the car as there were some 6 mm holes pre tapped in them so this was straight forward, removed the wiper arms then the plastic strip from underneath them, then removed the car battery, the holes underneath were completely blocked and it looks like the water level has risen and leaked through the pollen filter base due to a perished gasket, I have now cleaned it all up and added a silicon gasket as mentioned elsewhere on this forum and cleaned all drain holes and refitted all back together, think i will test it when the silicon is dry/ cured. My next task is to dry out the foot well on the passenger side, i've managed to raise the carpet to get a fair look under and its saturated, not sure if I can do a proper job without removing the seat but am unsure what's involved in this, there are a few connectors and cables attached to it and I Dont want any air bag trouble!!! Does anyone know what unplugging all the wires will do if anything?
This posting (Audi A6 Avant - Refurb & Repair (Pic heavy) - Page 6 - Detailing World) will tell you everything you need to know about repairing and refurbishing a C5 A6. I have linked you to the page where he removes the front seats but the rest of the post is well worth a read. Also you will probably find that using a wet vacuum (eg a Vax) will be required in order to give the carpet any chance of drying out if it is a wet as you suggest in your post.

BTW Typhoon also posts on here as Typhoon GB see a few posts down regarding front hubs

Thank you, already been using vax, now using dehumidifier aswell but its slow progress, how does the box under the seat unplug? Is it straight forward? Maybe it's in you link élan, not had chance to look yet, thanks for both your help.