It tastes like coolant, but it doesn't look like coolant....

mrnice

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm due to change the thermostat on my high mileage 2001 avant (awx engine), and think draining/flushing coolant may be a good idea.
However having looked at the coolant (i se-ringed some out of the header tank), i'm a bit confused as it's completely clear as water, it does smell and taste of coolant though. Anyone seen clear coolant?
Question is kind of academic as I'll be refilling with G12++ within the next month, just confused as to what the previous owners/garages have been chucking in there....

I'll hopefully be back with less stupid questions in due course.

Looks like water.......probably is ....
Should be pink...tastes sweet but awful...as does most antifreeze to stop people drinking it....(unlike the Russians in Afghanistan who drunk it as there was no Vodka and went blind)
All the brands I know are coloured. This does not stop a chemist type just dropping some pure Ethylene Glycol in as thats clear.
Suggest you do something as winter is poppin round again does go off after a few years.

Test? Put some in an ice tray and shove in the freezer....-18C should not freeze...cheaper than a tester

Nice lateral thinking typhoon, I'll do that to satisfy my curiosity and geekiness but a flush and change is on the cards anyhow while I do the stat and coolant temp sensor..

I know some of the newer Ford coolant is clear.

Reactions: mrnice
sample went gloopy but didn't fully freeze. Sure it'll be fine for a week or so til I flush it out. I'll shutup about this now.

Thanks for the input!,
I just drained and flushed the life out of it and refilled with g12 anyhow, replacing g62 sensor and thermostat while i was at it.
Hell's bells that sensor is a pig to replace!