Rear Axle Bearing Replacement - Have You Done This?

TYphoon GB

Reaction score
After a long discussion with our local MoT man which included trailing arm bushes (it aint a BMW say I) axle edge bushings, axle supports and some such 'what the f*** does that mean' questions it seems the rear axle bearings could do with a change (advisory).
The comment was 'deterioration' not affecting safety or handling... (may have been talking about me).

I plan to replace the whole bearing assembly each side but its a 'ghetto' 'on the drive' each side at a time in the rain plan.

Elsa suggests you need to jack and support the whole back end and drop the subframe and having a look they may be right.

So anyone done this in a 'ghetto' manner? ...any pointers?

Mind you the MoT did reveal something Kwik Fit, ProTyre (who had them all off to do the balance) and I all missed several times.... see if you can spot it.... :)

P1040588.jpg

P1040589.jpg

Highlighted yellow for the directional tires:think:

Can't help with the bearing sorry having not tried that, have got access to elsawin if you'd like a pdf of factory destructions for this job though?

Highlighted yellow for the directional tires:think:

Can't help with the bearing sorry having not tried that, have got access to elsawin if you'd like a pdf of factory destructions for this job though?

This was a bad day but that made me laugh....least thats an easy fix
Thanks but all Elsa'd up. Having looked again...in the rain.... I suspect I will have to drop the rear subframe in one go...

Oh and guess what.....front and rear lower control arms shot....I guess when you jet the muck out they run free....

6 fails and 10 advisories ...... 2 of which are 'cover obscures' WDF!

Hows your rack?

Rack is coming along slowly thanks to the local supplier having 3 goes at getting the right rack and the driver side pinch bolt seized beyond siezed (week of trying to hammer out then 3 hours to carefully drill it out in the end) should have it back together tomorrow, working under my 'ghetto' gazzebo on the drive!
Lower arms to steering knuckle where bad as well took some sort of hammering with a pickle fork:keule:

Oh HerefordQ where art thou... 1 hour to remove wheels both side, calipers, all bolts etc.....4 hours to get two arms off...

Reactions: HerefordQuattro
Thats good going takes me a week!

3 hour job according to the dealers. Three of the nuts were rotating with the ball joint ***. Just grinding em out took forever should have removed the hub. Now one of the front arms is jammed against the hub as the joint has partly separated from the bush...
1 more hour and Mr Big side cutter is going in....

Just wondering how the bush bolts will go back in as they were a cow to pull out. Least its sunny!

Back end is going to be fun.....

How's it going now?

had the tracking done on mine this morning now it's back on the road and the front end is fine.
Back end is crap though, turns out the seized bolt they told me about last time wasn't the camber bolt but the toe bolt, so when he corrected the camber it pulled the toe way out of spec so best compromise was correct toe and camber ever so slightly out (-).

Did you change the rear track rod on yours, looks like the bush is perished beyond help (not an MOT failure i hope)?

2.75 out ....... side cutter when the rain stops should sort....
All going in the bin.....you liked the pics?
Just noticed one of the CV gaiters has a hole in it....
Working away this week so nought done before Sunday.

I think its about time the MoT has pictures as the descriptions are 'misleading' and dont reflect the manufacturers part names.
Least my MoT place cover the dead bits in yellow marker (as the tyre).... :)

Glad your rollin again...