Help with rear brake light problem please?

snorkelboy

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I recently bought a 2007 A6 Saloon 2.0 tdi. Over the past week or so I have started getting a warning light on the self diagnostic cycle. This appears to tell me that I have a faulty rear, driver side brake light problem. The problem is that this problem is intermitent, if I turn off the ignition and restart the car it goes away for anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes. The brake lights work as they should when no fault is registering but the brake light and rear indicator appear to malfunction when the fault is being highlighted.

I would be greatful for any advice, as you can imagine, I am reluctant to put it into the garage for them to look at the car without an idea of what the problem is and whether or not it will be costly or not to repair.

I look forward to any help anyone can offer.

Warmest regards.

Paul

Only an idea...Try swapping the bulbs or replacing same. Only based on our BMW as if the system knew the bulb was going down....

Thanks for the reply.

I will try this as I didn't know that it was possible for cars to know that the bulbs were on the way out.

Thanks again.

Paul

The warnings are generated by changes in current (load)(voltage/resistance etc). If its not the bulb then check for corrosion, loose fittings, damp etc.

The warnings are generated by changes in current (load)(voltage/resistance etc). If its not the bulb then check for corrosion, loose fittings, damp etc.

Thank you again. I will try and sort this out at the weekend.

Warmest regards.

Paul

if you for example have a dirty slightly corroded connection. the bulb will still be working but the resistance caused by the connection problem will be picked up on, too much or open circuit (bulb blown) both puts the light on.

I had exactly the same problem from a rear number plate light that i chased for two years (on and off) .
In the end one of the two bulb blew, i replaced the bulb and I have not had the fault back since ( possibly another two year have now passed since the bulb was replaced).
I would put my money on one of the bulbs being on the way out.

Make sure there is no corrosion on the metal plate where the lamp puhes into. clean all contacts. And check the electrical plug connection to the light for corroded pins.

spray with electrical contact cleaner.