trying to locate a particular relay..... any help out there?????

edmanning

Reaction score
hi all

i have a 2000 a6 1.8t thats been off the road for some time with some major electrical problems.
i recently done a vag-com scan and a number of codes come up but the first i need to deal with is a faulty relay that i want to change.

the vag-com scan said........

17925 MAIN RELAY (J271) ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION
P1517 - 35 - 30 INTERMITTENT

i called audi and they said that the code j271 does not relate to any part number. i then done a search on the web for j271 and i got a list of many part numbers relating to other vag cars and describes the part as being a main power supply relay. i called audi again asking for a main power supply relay for my car, to which they said they needed a part number and suggested i let them diagnose and fix the faults. i don't think they realise that not everyone is made of money......
all i want to do is buy the relay, replace it and then scan again to see if this relay effected any of the other electrical faults.

if anyone has any info on how i can find out which relay i need or any idea on the part numbers it would really be appreciated.
thanks

Tell them you need the power supply relay and give them the VIN and production date of the vehicle. They can lok it up in ETKA (parts program that VW/Audi uses). If they say they can't, they are lying. You should go to another dealer who will help you.
I am a dealer tech in the US for a VW/Audi dealer. I get parts for my Audi all the time this way. I NEVER give them the part #. That's their job!!!
Good luck.

J271 power control relay is in the Plenum camber elecronics box n the right hand side under the wiper scuttle, under neath the ecu.
Hope this helps