Think I have a stuck calliper!! what now??

deanogtv

Reaction score
Guys a couple of months ago i changed the front pads and rotors on both sides as my left side had worn prematurely. Whilst changing them it was clear that there was a problem with the left side calliper as it was very stiff. I managed to changed the pads and rotors but released all wasn't good as they was a lot of dust on the left side and excess heat also. I never got round to addressing the problem and now low and behold the problem has worn my left side pad down enough to trigger the display warning!!
When winding the calliper back it did feel tight, and may have been deemed as 'stuck'
If this is the case do I need a replacement calliper or can this one be repaired/ reconditioned?? I'm novice to fixing things like this so would it be best to get a pro to have a look at the problem??? and let them fix it??

Its surprising that you did not notice pulling to one side or low mpg if its worn that quickly.Seems unlikely that the caliper can be freed and I would look to replace it.Not difficult if you can change pads

I dont know if they can be reconditioned, personally if I had any suspecion of brake problem I would splash out and replace. As you practically have to take caliper off to replace pads/discs I would imagine you could do it yourself easy enough if you get the part. Remember to replace & bleed brake fluid every 2 years, it can get damp with water and cause rusting/compression.

Hi this is a problem that I think I can help with, it sounds like the caliper carrier is seized if you take the caliper off as if changing the brake pads hang it out the way. you will be left with the carrier it has 2 mounts that slide in and out, this is were the caliper is bolted on, the bolt pins should pull out there are small rubber dust covers on them, you may need to take the carrier off but that is only 2 bolts. the bolt pins need to be taken out cleaned up greased with some copper grease and put back making sure the move freely in and out, reassemble brakes and it should be fine these pin bolts allow the caliper to move as the pads wear if they seize it will cause the pads to wear uneven and worse.

I have a squeaking noise on a4 Quattro when not using brakes, if I press the pedal slightly then it goes away. Last mot advisory was that one of the brakes was 'hanging on slightly' -- what does that mean? Caliper stuck?

Thanks a lot

Never heard that before but I would have said that the brake is not letting go all the way when the brake is not under pressure. so will need taking apart. Clean the pads carrier with brake cleaner and a wire brush, grease the carrier as explained on this thread. make sure the pads are not catching on anything as the paint on them can make them stick on the outer edge this is where the squeaking normally comes from, so put some copper grease round the outer edge and plenty on the back of the pad refit caliper and bingo it should be perfect.

Thanks Kenton, I'll take a look at the weekend and sort it out..

Squeak squeak!

I have this problem where there is a squeaking noise when I'm driving, if I press the brake slightly it goes away?. And I'm having problems with my car pulling left, and getting low mpg at the moment, could I have a binding caliper?