noise from hazard switch when indicating

shufti

Reaction score
hi guys

I have an a6 4.2 quattro 1999. When I indicate right only the side repeater lights up (doesn't blink) and no other lights come on. Also there is a noise that comes from the hazard switch. I bought a new hazard switch on ebay as I thought that was the solution but it does the same thing.

Anyone got any ideas what this fault is and how to fix it? The left indicator works as normal

any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated as my mot is due soon
thanks

yes the bulbs are ok, is it an easy enough to change the stalk? I assume this is my best route?
thanks

Before you change the stalk try a little wd40 on the contact ring on the column and go full lock each way a couple of times to clean up the ring - it gets dirt on it.

yes the bulbs are ok, is it an easy enough to change the stalk? I assume this is my best route?
thanks

I think its your only option now.

The stalk is not to bad.
Loads of little screws and springs that just want to pop out and hide in your carpet never to be found until that one day you walk through with bar feet and BANG!!!!
Its in your foot!!

Remove the wheel, remove the stalk and start taking the screws out. I'm not sure how the A6 comes apart but since its about the same year as my B5 I assume it would be the same or at least.
When you pull it apart, go slow or the internals will jump about and go all over the place.
Don't forget to clean the metal contacts and re-grease. :)

thanks, I'll try and hunt down a stalk on ebay and give that a bash, hopefully that will get to the bottom of this..... I'll post up my results. I'll try the wd40 trick first