Wiper Problem

crm

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hi Guys, new to the forum but have an issue with my 1999 A6 4.2V8 Quattro (C5)

Got a bit of a strange one that only started happening yesterday,

When you put the wipers on they move incredibly slowly probably around 15 seconds from side to side, and sometimes they start clicking when they are just short of their resting point,

If I put them on full speed they just stop and do not move at all,

I tried lifting the wipers away from the screen and switched them on and this had the same effect If I move the wipers whilst powered on I can "assist" the wiper to move from side to side.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

I am thinking its the motor or the relay but is there anything I could check to confirm either way.

If it is the motor are they all the same or do they change from model to model?

Pobbably seized spindles, common problem, as the water from the screen passes over the spindles, eventually it washes the grease out.
Remove the assembly, carefully remove the spindles, regrease and they'll work fine.

Don't knock the spindles out, as you can quite easily break the cast alloy parts of the wiper assambly.
Get a new rubber o-ring from a local plumbing shop.

This bit is your choice, by I drilled a 5mm hole in the scuttle panel, below the hole where the spindle comes out.

HTH

Mark

Pobbably seized spindles, common problem, as the water from the screen passes over the spindles, eventually it washes the grease out.
Remove the assembly, carefully remove the spindles, regrease and they'll work fine.

Don't knock the spindles out, as you can quite easily break the cast alloy parts of the wiper assambly.
Get a new rubber o-ring from a local plumbing shop.

This bit is your choice, by I drilled a 5mm hole in the scuttle panel, below the hole where the spindle comes out.

HTH

Mark

Thanks for your reply, what was the hole drilled for ? does it provide a more easier access solution, what is it I actually have to remove and how does the assembly come out?

As ever thanks for your help!

You need to remove wiper arms, the plastic scuttle that runs along the bottom of the screen, plus the cover below that, which covers the battery, ECM and pollen filter.

Remove the lid for the ECM, take out the tall standing relay.
Then undo 3x bolts holding the assembly in, once you have it far enough out, disconnect the wiring.
You may need to reposition the wiper linkage to get it out, which is can be an issue as the spindles have started to seize.

Therse is a 'C' clip which secures the spindles into the assy (just below the wiper arm grooves), don't loose it :)

The 5mm holes are to provide an alternative path for the water, so that not all the water pours over the spindles.

Wiper blade linkage, abot 70 quid from audi. Dont leave it to long, you motor will burn out.