EM TuningSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Immobiliser Instrument Cluster Key Coding

New here, hello!

Well, I had the dreaded missing lines on my 2001 A6 2.5 TDi Quattro display and thought I would repair it myself. Long story short, the cluster is now damaged beyond repair so I am getting a replacement from a breaker.

So, can I get the immo and mileage reprogrammed?

Do I need to go to a Audi Dealer?

Is it easy?

Is anyone in the Lincoln/Boston/Grantham area able to do this with a VAG-COM?

Also, I have a 2 remote keys. One works, one doesn't despite new batteries. Is it common for these to need reprogramming if left flat for a while?

Any help gratefuly received.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    in a nice small & quiet village on outskirts of huddersfield!!

My Social Networking

Add craigynett on Google+
    you don't need to go to the dealer. You need somebody with VCDS/Vagcom. I've not done it myself yet but i'm sure there's a guide on the ross-tech wiki page. I'm sure somebody said you need to read the pin code from both clusters so that you can program your replacement cluster to have the same pin code as original cluster.

As i said, i haven't done it myself so don't quote me on it. In fact i think there's a guide on ukmkiv golf forum

As for your remote. It needs testing with an RF tester to make sure it's still sending a signal, if it is then it prob just needs to be resync'd with the car

Craig
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by craigynett View Post
    you don't need to go to the dealer. You need somebody with VCDS/Vagcom. I've not done it myself yet but i'm sure there's a guide on the ross-tech wiki page. I'm sure somebody said you need to read the pin code from both clusters so that you can program your replacement cluster to have the same pin code as original cluster.

As i said, i haven't done it myself so don't quote me on it. In fact i think there's a guide on ukmkiv golf forum

As for your remote. It needs testing with an RF tester to make sure it's still sending a signal, if it is then it prob just needs to be resync'd with the car

Craig
    If you have Immoboliser III then you will almost certainly need a Pin code from the new cluster and the Pin code from your ECU.
    VCDS/Vag Com will not pull these (too easy for crooks). The supplier of the new/replacement unit should provide one and a car locksmith/mobile key recoder will be able to lift your current Pin.

Immobilizer III Immobilizer Swapping (Instrument Cluster) - Ross-Tech Wiki

Immo II 'may' need the Pin as well...

Immobilizer II Immobilizer Swapping (Instrument Cluster) - Ross-Tech Wiki

2nd Gear

Status
    Easiest thing to do is obtain another cluster and get the key fob that came with the car with the immobilizer transponder, this way using VCDS you can match the ECU to the new cluster and key (it's the equivalent of doing an ECU swap with VCDS) I've done this on my Immo II A6 many times. This way you don't have to get the PIN or the SKC code.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by evomaster3000 View Post
    Easiest thing to do is obtain another cluster and get the key fob that came with the car with the immobilizer transponder, this way using VCDS you can match the ECU to the new cluster and key (it's the equivalent of doing an ECU swap with VCDS) I've done this on my Immo II A6 many times. This way you don't have to get the PIN or the SKC code.
    Ahhh Audi thought of that you will need to PIN code the Injection Pump ECU!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys for all your help!

Just to let you know, I sent the cluster to CARTRONIX and they were able to fix it. I was so pleased not to have the immo issue and they turned it round very quickly. Well worth the money for a great reliable service so a thumbs up from me.

As for the fob, it was dead so I had to buy a replacement. Worth it though as the car is lovely!

Thanks again.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TYphoon GB View Post
    Ahhh Audi thought of that you will need to PIN code the Injection Pump ECU!
    Really? I've not had any issues on my 1998 C5 A6 AFN (non PD).

1st Gear

Status
    If its a Bosch VP44 it needs PIN coding for a change in pump or immobiliser.

Immobilizer III Injection Pump Swapping - Ross-Tech Wiki

2nd Gear

Status
    I see, Mine is a 1.9 TDi, therefore a Bosch VP37 iirc? and I've got Immo II (early C5), either/both may explain this.

1st Gear

Status
    Yup 2.5 Immo III you lucky person!

6th Gear

Status
    I wish i had seen this sooner. I was able to retrieve the pin from my partners car without too much drama. Now just need to find a cluster !
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

Quattro

Status
    I did the key in the ignition and turn the other key in the front door.
    Does that just code it so i can open the doors?
    98' Audi A6 2.4 V6 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    I understand that if you have good key then yes that works. If you have no good key then its programmer and PIN time.
    The key has a Radio Frequency ID tag inside so all you are doing is matching the keys.
    If you swap hardware (keys, pump, dash etc) then the main immobiliser control module in the dash pod is the master PIN.

More here.... Immobilizer - Ross-Tech Wiki