Multitronic or Automatic?

davidif

Reaction score
Hi ive been away from Audi's for a while (well not totally as the wife has an A4 cab) but i now fancy an A6 TDI but i'd like an auto transmission. However i seem to remember that lots of people had problems with the multitronic and indeed my local mechanic (exAudi tech) says to stay away from multitronic cars! I seem to recall that the quattro autos were not multitronic but instead a proper torque converter auto but my recolection is a little vague can anyone confirm this or otherwise.

Thanks in anticipation,Dave

fwd = multitronic

quattro = tiptronic (proper auto)

I think in the facelift cars the multi box came somewhat more reliable ;)

stick with cogs and clutches. they wont leave you with 3.5k repair bills without warning.

i'd never have an auto............. ever.

you joined 6 years ago and this is your first post?

That's why you get an Audi warranty for those unwanted little problems ;)

And better late than never!!

My last car was an 2005 A4 with the multitronic box... and yes, I was bitten firmly in the wallet area when the dreaded PRNDS started flashing. I got "lucky", as just a gearbox control unit (£900 fitted by an indy garage), but I was really kicking myself for not having researched properly before getting the vehicle.

I would never get one again... they just seem too fragile, hardly anyone services them, and they cost the earth to fix or replace (I think I was quoted something ludicrous like about 8K by the local Audi dealer).

I now have a quattro A6 avant with the "proper" tiptronic auto and the 3.0 TDI, and I think it is a combo made in heaven ;)

Multitronic box repairs are significantly cheaper than they used to be (£1200 for a replacement). Also, failure rates on the multitronic tend to be more common on older (6 clutch) versions, and then generally on the higher torque (2.5+) engines. A 1.9 tdi multitronic with the new 7 clutch should be reliable enough.

Wow... that's come down quite a bit, although I bet the devil is in the details (i.e. labour costs).

I agree that the newer boxes are probably fine when matched to a 1.9/2.0 TDI and have the fluids changed like clockwork, but I still contend that a) the A6 just feels underwhelming with a four-pot, and b) it seems slightly unhinged that they even offer the multitronic box paired with the 2.7 V6 TDI, given it is right on the torque rating (400Nm)

stick with cogs and clutches. they wont leave you with 3.5k repair bills without warning.

i'd never have an auto............. ever.

you joined 6 years ago and this is your first post?
2nd your opinion ! I don't have two left legs as such i love to be in control of what speed i am in WHEN i want !

3.0 TDI quattro Tiptronic, the ultimate!!!