Dipped Beam Intermittant Fault

coach

Reaction score
Hello
This is my first post here.
I searched first to make sure it had not already been discussed but got nothing back. I have an 08 A6 2.7tdi Quattro Le-Mans that seems to have an Intermittant problem with the headlights. Sometimes, not all the time I get the Bulb warning light coming on the dash to tell me that my dipped headlights are not working, when I get the warning they are in fact NOT working but if I turn the ignition off and restart I can get them to come on, this does not happen all the time and its not always both lights that are showing fault. Is it the bulbs on their way out or could it be a wiring problem. Anyone had experience of this?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Doesn't sound like the bulbs are on their way out as it affects both the same. As you have a Le Mans then you have Xenons and given that restarting the car clears the fault it sounds like there is a problem with the controller for the lights, possible just a software glitch. You need to get a look at the error codes with a VCDS and see what they show

Doesn't sound like the bulbs are on their way out as it affects both the same. As you have a Le Mans then you have Xenons and given that restarting the car clears the fault it sounds like there is a problem with the controller for the lights, possible just a software glitch. You need to get a look at the error codes with a VCDS and see what they show

Thanks for the response.
I went out in it last night and the lights were fine. Stopped for around 10 minutes and they wouldn't come back on, turned everything off for a few minutes then back on and they were fine again. I've left it with the Auto Electrician, he says its possibly the controller that is buried in the dash somewhere. I'll wait and see what he comes back with. How much is a new Controller?

I've seen a similar problem when the main beams are turned on and the break warning lights come on along with the dipped beam and this is due to the battery reaching the end of it's life.

Try switching the lights on and then starting the car if this dosent show a warning then try again with the engine running but this time switch off your AC / Heater and the radio see if the warning shows then. If you get no warning then try in the first instace charging your battery if that works for a time then it's time to replace your battery.

I've seen a similar problem when the main beams are turned on and the break warning lights come on along with the dipped beam and this is due to the battery reaching the end of it's life.

Try switching the lights on and then starting the car if this dosent show a warning then try again with the engine running but this time switch off your AC / Heater and the radio see if the warning shows then. If you get no warning then try in the first instace charging your battery if that works for a time then it's time to replace your battery.

I'll see what the Auto ELectrician says, the car is with him now.
I was going to add another question here but I will strat a new thread or it will not get looked at for what it is.
thanks for your response

Just had a report back. The switch and everything inside the cae are fine, - NO ERROR codes in the Diagnostics. They are now removing the bumper to get to the connections for the light units themselves. He says he can hear the lights getting the signal but they are not lighting up. If its not a bad connection then it could be the light clusters need replacing - EXPENSIVE I think! :-(

won't be whole cluster, bulbs or balasts at worst

Got the car back but still unresolveg. The diagnosis is that the Lighting Control Module is faulty and it needs to go to Audi for fitment and programing to the vehicle. Booked into Dealer on Monday, they say it won't be that module but possibly bulb holders. We shall see!

Fault never happened or showed up again and NO stored errors in the system. Dealer contacted the factory and they said it would be the bulbs SO 2 new bulbs later and £459.00 lighter, I hope that has sorted it out. £70 for the original Diagnosis from dealer. £91 each for the bulbs and teh rest in labour charges for changing the Zenon bulbs.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF AUDI! :-(

I asked for the old bulbs as they were still working.

Last edited: