Pre-A6 purchase questions

Allroadster

Reaction score
Website
n
Hello everyone, this is my first post, so...I'll let you know my situation.

I'm 19 and poor from college /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I have about $10k to spend (figure $9500 because of tax) after selling some of my stock in Apple Computer. Now I am on the hunt for a car...

My brother got an 1997 A4 Quattro 1.8T 1.5yrs ago, and my mom bought an 1998 A4 2.8 about 2 months ago. Now I am looking around, and I've come across a deal that seems almost too good to be true.

As you can see [link=http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?&min_price=8000&distance=25&dealer_id=55774734&lang=en&end_year=2006&address=17522&make=AUDI&start_year=1997&certified=&car_year=1997&car_id=181674092&cardist=22&isp=y&max_price=9500&advanced=&search_type=both&model=#vdptop]this[/link] dealer is selling an 1997 A6 for $8,800 with only 68,977 miles on it. Seems like a good deal but I don't know about cars, so I thought I'd ask some more knowledgeable Audi people.

If you say "ast3r3x, it's a good deal, and you should take it..." then I have another question.

Is this the type of car a broke 19yr old should have? It seems to be pretty reliable from what I have read, but imagine if something goes wrong it's expensive to fix. Thoughts on if it'll put me into even more debt than college already is?

Hi, Ast3r3x,

and welocme to the forum.

As with any car, you will get good ones and bad ones. Just check the motor through, and do some research, things to look for, etc. As with any audi (or german motor for that fact), parts can be pricey. No one can say if the car will bankrupt you, that has to your own judgement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm sure one of the more technical guys will advise you...

link

Thanks for the reply.

Really I was just wondering if the A6 is problem prone, or quite the opposite. Is there much else I can do besides take it to a mechanic to have it looked at before I buy?

I mean ~70k miles...it should last...past 125...150?

A6 Link

Sorry about the bad link in the first post...used to a different forum board /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No problem, you could always back track through the 14 pages on the A6, might always find a similiar questions being asked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

sounds good spec, v6 is strong go on for years and quattro is awesome, though, the 1998 a6 has the first version of the newer shape

but on its strengths/weaknesses there are nationwide surveys

and welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well I'm mostly worried about repair costs. Is this a car that needs regular repair? I am under the impression it's expensive to fix too. That's what is holding me back in this decision.

mate, i'm 18 and i own 3 cars and a motorbike! one of which is my 98 A6 TDi which i will be modding up!.
They are pretty reliable, mines a diesel tho with 148000 miles on it! gonna need a new clutch soon about £300 and some bits for the MOT test.

Running costs for me are quite low, due to diesel!, insurance surprisingly lower than my vauxhall astra! Road tax = same, it's just servicing at about £170 and repair costs which at the moment have been kept to a minimum.

Check the cambelt has been done as this costs about £200 to get done! and will need doing every 60-70000 miles.

any other Q's?