A6 2.5 turbo auto sport 2000 non starter

Tony m

Reaction score
hi, new to this, My a6 started and imeadiately stopped and fefuses to start, all is normal but refuses to fire. Had a mechanic look at it and on test gave the codes 01318 and 01268. He said the fuel pump in tank had failed and I replaced this, but cannot get power to it so I direcly powered it off battery and it now makes a noise. There is no diesel at the filter by the engine and the pump doesn`t seem to have any pressure. I sucked diesel to the filter and filled the pipe to the injector pump but no sign of it starting. I can`t get hold of any auto electrician for love or money which I am hoping to save by not having to replace the injector pump. My questions are, how much pressure to expect from the pump in the tank, is there a way I can by-pass the electrics and test the VP44 pump and or the ECU.

I believe the tank pump only gets power while cranking the engine.

The pump in the tank only fills a baffle chamber in the tank. The main vp .44 pump on the engine then pulls fuel from the filter and in turn sucks in from the baffle in the tank. You can apply +12v to the baffle pump by removing the fuse number 28 I think and wiring a batterydirectlyy to it to make sure you can hear it running.

They're a real ***** to start if you get any air in the engine pump as I found out changing my fuel filter last week! In the end I rigged up an electric pump to the return hose from the pump back to filter and pulled fuel through the vp44. Then with a freshly charged battery and a can of easy start I cranked and cranked till it ran. If it won't fire at all on easy start then the problem may lie elsewhere...

I believe the tank pump only gets power while cranking the engine.

I took power from battery straight to the pump and it makes a noise.It is not getting any power when cranking or otherwise, maybee this is a clue, although i`m not getting it, checked relays as far as I could find them.

I have a small hand pump which I bought to empty tank tried to draw diesel through the top pump with no success, am going to pump into pump while cranking, 2 chances.

Had two mechanics look at the car £50.00, both suggested the ECU on the diesel pump, removed and sent to ECU Testing Ltd. It took a week and £310.00 quite expensive, but refitted and eventually the car fired back to life.

the letters by Magnet in August 2011 gave me the idea and the letters are worth a read.

Anther good informative site is VP30/44/diesel.de.

Thanks tony m