Some pics of my recent Thermostat and Water Pump change 2001 Allroad 2.5tdi AKE

skyegtb

Reaction score
Some pics of my recent Thermostat and Water Pump change 2001 Allroad 2.5tdi AKEHope these will reveal some of the mysteries of the job! I'm not going to make a full detailed post about every step involved in doing this, rather I thought it best you could view the album of pictures which show the majority of steps involved in doing the job.My only comment is that the 'tippex' marks on the cam pulleys etc were nothing to do with me.. I used the proper tools!Enjoy, Angus.2001 Allroad tdi AKE pictures by angusmsmith - Photobucket

Thank you so much for the photos. This is a job I am planning for the future. I have all the special locking tools but when I looked under the car to find where you put the TDC locking pin I can't for the life of me find it - I assume it is on the side of the sump? Please can you describe roughly where it is.

Hi there. The blanking plug is just aft of the lower engine sump on the passenger side (UK car) directly abuve the anti-roll bar. There is a possibility it may be covered in oil and dirt. I think I have a picture somewhere which shows the location better, if I find it I will post it here.Angus

Hi there. The blanking plug is just aft of the lower engine sump on the passenger side (UK car) directly abuve the anti-roll bar. There is a possibility it may be covered in oil and dirt. I think I have a picture somewhere which shows the location better, if I find it I will post it here.Angus

CrankshaftLockingPinPlug.jpg

Perfect, found it on mine now - thank you. I notice you took the front off your car completely, the instructions i have describe putting it into "service position". Obviously your way gives much better view/access but is it a lot of extra work?

I would say 30 minutes more to remove the front end completely and the only slightly difficult bit is removing the gearbox oil pipes from the radiator, but even that is not much hassle. The reason I took the front end off completely was simplyto get the best access to everything as it was my first time doing a 2.5tdi belt job. If I did it again I would still remove the front end completely as I believe it would save time in the long-run.