headlight washer (a6 2.5tdi quattro, 2000 plate)

abdul h ghafoor

Reaction score
Feeling a bit sheepish as I realised my car has headlight popup washers :idea: . However they ain't popping up or washing. Have checked fuses that was neg, and have tried with headlights on as well which proved neg as well. Any pointers be appreciated.

Check the pump on the washer bottle. The washers pop up with the water pressure. If your bottle has low water the headlights washers won't work

Feeling a bit sheepish as I realised my car has headlight popup washers :idea: . However they ain't popping up or washing. Have checked fuses that was neg, and have tried with headlights on as well which proved neg as well. Any pointers be appreciated.

I had the same issue with my S3 that i recently bought. Wondered why they weren't working. My uncle (Motorsport mechanic) came round over the weekend and suddenly got them working, without any tools/diagnostic equipment.

I did cop the way he operated the stalk though......he plipped the stalk once on, let off, then held up constantly so windscreen was spraying. I was stood at the front of the car at this point and saw the headlamp washers work with my very own eyes.

Give that a try maybe?

Well fixed the headlight washer. Had to access the washer bottle via the n/s front wheel arch. Took the inner cover out held by numerous torx head screws and two bolts. Once removed the washer bottle has two bold holding it underneath. Plus one bolt which u get via the engine bay. I found that the headlamp washer motor connector was loose and dirty. Quick clean and reconected and up they popped squirting away. :icon_thumright: