A6 Allroad 2.5 diesel tuning

dave225

Reaction score
Hello All,

New member intending to buy Allroad (C5 I think it is - 2001-2005-ish).
Wobbling between petrol & diesel. Opinions welcome, but on the diesel.....I tested one and it seemed to have a very low 1st gear and also enough turbo lag to make pulling away from rest a bad expereince. I think it was a ropey example, but is that an experience others have? (I'm used to petrol turbos with long gearing).

Also - are there any recommended ECU remaps for these engines? Any details and comments gratefully received.

Many thanks
Dave

Whichever model you go for it's not going to be sporty at all mate, the allroad weighs 2 tonnes and weight kills performance. If tuning potential is your game then the 2.7TT has been tuned to 500Bhp with bolt-on parts: rs6 hybrid turbos, rs4 injectors, rs4 wagner intercoolers, aftermarket fuel pump and custom remap will see you there. Hardcore tunners use a stroking kit to increase the displacement to 3.0 L which gives loads of torque. Also a popular mod is replacing the heads with the 2.4 or 2.8 heads, beeing NA they have larger intake/exhaust ports. Loba also offer CNC head porting but it's mega money. Speac to MRC tuning for tuning options.
The diesel on the other hand is made for towing, the 1st/2nd and 3rd gear are short as the engine has 450Nm of torque from tickover and not many boxes will survive with that much torque down low. Remapping gives a good 30-40 Bhp but you need to go with aftermarket parts to get over 250Bhp. Bosio race 683 nozzles, Fin Turbo hybrid turbo with gtb2260 compressor wheels (plug and play) and custom mapping will go to 260-300 Bhp. The bosio's are large nozzles-waay to large as they have been designed for older AFB 150Bhp engine which has a 3 plunger pump and 10mm head, the AKE pumps have 2 plungers but 11mm head so they flow a lot more allready...
Trouble is there are not many off the shelf tuning parts available for the allroad as it was a niche model and the diesel was/is too complicated for grease monkey to moddify/tinker with. Done right the diesel can give the petrol lump a nice run for it's money !
I would start by sorting the suspension and brakes first: rear ARB will stop the roll and make the car feel much more planted. I have a rs6 rear ARB, s4 solid front track rod ends and all new front susp. arms genuine. I also have a Eibach front ARB which needs fitting just dont have much time at the moment... Mine is not bad at handling but if you're trying to turn it into a decent handling car then you'll spend a lot of money to do it right. I only use mine for towing which is doing it very well- with car on trailer and goes at 90-100mph without breaking a sweat.