Blocked particulate filters 2.5tdi AKE engine. What to do?

skyegtb

Reaction score
During installation of a towbar on my 2001 Allroad I removed the rear section of the exhaust to facilitate access. With the exhaust off I inspected my DPF's - the 2.5tdi has 2 of these. As you may be able to see from the photo they both appear to be pretty much blocked (perhaps the photo below does not show it too well, but on the original photo when I zoomed in there appears to be very few holes that are not blocked). The car is running OK with no real suggestion of any exhaust problems, but I think I want to remove the DPF's from the car anyway. I guess the procedure will be to remove the pipes from the car and then destroy the filters using a rod of some description? Are these DPF's meant to be changed at set intervals in the vehicles life? To me I would expect this unless they were self cleaning. Anyway, I guess this post is more for other peoples info than anything else as I have already decided to remove the filters. Maybe I will remove the CAT aswell while I am at it.

IMG_2082.jpg

A lot of people gut the inside of the dpf then have a remap to include removal of the dpf software so it doesn't try to regenerate etc. I'm quite surprised at a 2001 car having dpf to be honest. IO thought they didn't come out till a few years later

They are just there for smell reasons and a healthy diesel can do without them... They are not active like the later models.