buying an allroad

egesford

Reaction score
im thinking of buying an allroad, is there anything in particular to look out for, i heard the 2.5tdi engine can be a bit of hassle??
and what are they like off road (i need to tow a 2 tonne trailer across fields regularly)
any opinions would be appreciated, thanks
im looking to spend around £3000

I have no direct experience of the Allroad but as a casual observation I suspect you will have issues with using it to tow a 2 Tonne Trailer across a field. The current (C6) 3.0TDi Allroad has a maximum towing limit of 2100kg on an 8% gradient and that assumes it is on tarmac not a field. Clearly once in a while you can exceed that but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. Also to go across a field you will likely need to raise the suspension which will also affect the towing ability

At the end of the day the Allroad is a car with the ability to handle limited offroad situations, it is not a dedicated offroad vehicle in the style of an X5, Q7 or Discovery. Others with more direct experience will no doubt give you their opinions but I suspect your needs may be better served with a different type of vehicle

i have a forester at the moment which is supposed to tow 1850kg, again it has pretty poor ground clearance and is petrol but thats always been fine, just too thirsty hence thinking about the allroad. just meant grip wise off road really as the fields i have to cross can be a bit slippy, but are flat

The allroad will cope just fine mate, i use mine for towing cars on a iffor williams trailer and does not break a sweat. The x5 is not a real offroader and the allroad was the only car based SUV which completed the Land rover test... The allroad it's very capable offroad, stick a set of mud and snow tyres and you wont get stuck unless driving trough swamps ! Also the c5 tow limit is 2600kg, it will tow even more if you get the one with the low range manual gearbox, had LWB bmw 7 series and LWB vauxhal movano on the trailer and it did not feel it there...

Hi I'm thinking of buying a C5 allroad with seven seats as my wife and I are due our second child in a few months.
I'm after a 2.5 TDi (either power) but dont know if there's anything obvious to look out for/avoid.
I know the front suspension bushes and control arms often need replacing on VW passats (Which i believe are pretty similar underneath)

SO any buying hints would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Steve