EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

A6 4.2 04 onwards noob advice

Hi guys and girls

Currently looking to trade my 06 Mondeo ST220 in for an 04 (on-wards) 4.2 V8.

I have been scouring the usual websites and i have only seen around 4-5 S line examples during the past few months. So i am presuming that they are quite rare?

Does anybody mind if i ask a few questions? namely about the usual things like service costs, MPG, known issues etc.

MPG is not really an issue as my ST drinks like a fish (23mpg usually), but i am really interested in finding out what the costs are for major/minor services, tyre costs and Cam belt change

Also i have been looking for .PDF versions of the original brochures but with no joy. Does anybody know if these can be found anywhere?

This is the spec i am looking at

2005 AUDI A6 4.2 Quattro S Line 4dr Tip Auto
    Got to say that that is a heck of car for under 10 grand?

Kind regards

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks fellas

1st Gear

Status
    Hi mate,
    Don't get annoyed if you have no response.
    I can only give you feedback on the 2.7T engine so have not replied to your thread.
    This section of the forum does seem to be a bit slow so it might be worthwhile doing a search to see if you can get some answers first.
    Ta,
    Deano.

1st Gear

Status
    yes it can be slow and sometimes weird when you ask a question and you get no answers....I used to have an S6 avant and I can tell you the mpg was crap but who cares!! if you can afford it.
    3.0 TDI S Line Quattro Avant, Leather, Bose, Colour MMI Sat Nav, Phone, LED rear + Xenons

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Fellas.

Trouble is finding one

Been scouring the usual places for around a week now and not one has become available. There are plenty of SE spec knocking around, but i simply could not stare at a wooden dash.

Been thinking perhaps an oil burner may be they way ahead but i would be pretty gutted to end up in a boring 3.0 tdci.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Dont need it now, just bought myself a 2006 550i M Sport.

Apart from the two above, this really is a poor forum.

Thanks for nowt

TM
    S-line SB

Status
    An old joke springs to mind...

BMW drivers - opposite to hedgehogs... pr**cks are on the inside.
    A3 Sportback 140 TDI S-line
    Mods: Number plate LEDs, Rear Rings delete, Rear S-line Badge, Internal Audi and Rings stickers, Silvatec chrome indicators, Interior LEDs, Chrome Fog Rings.
    Future mods: Remap, MY09 Rear LEDs.

SOLD & SADLY MISSED

Reverse Gear

Status
    Witty on here i see.

Shame it took me to mention i had bought a beammer before i got a response. No wonder there is zero traffic on these boards. I bet if i have an issue with an inductor or a DMF all you diesel boys would be flocking around.

TM
    S-line SB

Status
    Lol. I think you'll find this forum useful for mainly A3's and A4's. Shame you couldn't find the information you were after, but this site is pretty dam helpful and friendly more than anything else.

Over and out sonic

Enjoy the BM.
    A3 Sportback 140 TDI S-line
    Mods: Number plate LEDs, Rear Rings delete, Rear S-line Badge, Internal Audi and Rings stickers, Silvatec chrome indicators, Interior LEDs, Chrome Fog Rings.
    Future mods: Remap, MY09 Rear LEDs.

SOLD & SADLY MISSED

2nd Gear

Status
    could it be that a hard car to find second hand may mean it is a rare one and that their may be very few owners......
    i will stick with my 3.0tdi lol.... more bhp/torque and defo more miles between pumps.....
    V8 baby... oh yeah

Reverse Gear

Status
    I had one, a 55 plate estate and it was the most fragile car I ever owned, with a seriously annoying number of minor faults, all fixed quickly, but stuff you'd not expect on a car like that, and the final straw was a camchain tensioner failing, which necessitated the gearbox being disconnected and the engine dropped out of it so it could be fixed. Garage did me a special deal, and the cost was £3000. Ouch. And it was back 4 times before it was properly sorted.

The S-Lines are brick hard with that engine and having driven both the S-Line and the SE I went for the SE because I do 40000 miles a year and couldn't live with that ride. A wooden dash was a small price to pay.

Biggest disappointment of all with that engine though was the lack of torque for overtaking. Virtually no pull in 6th, and 5th not much better. Just bought a second hand 3.0tdi today, having had an A8 with a 3.0tdi engine which I chipped and there is no comparison. In the real world the 3.0tdi simply rips the 4.2 to shreds. 24mpg on my weekly 800 mile round trip and 39mpg in the 3.0tdi today, before chipping.

The 550i is a great car too, and am sure you will enjoy that. I live above the snow line so RWD would be no use to me 4 months of the year, so will be sticking with the quattros for a while I think.

1st Gear

Status
    hey chunkymonkey, I spoke to you when you were selling your car, you're in Scotland right? your car had led rears lights, bose and the adaptive suspension. I also bought a 3.0TDI a year ago and I love it, I have had issues, had to change 6 injectors!!! ouch, found the latest version on ebay 2nd hand and all fitted for £700 so happy again. I used to have an S6 before this car which is why I liked your car but I have to say glad i didn't buy it reading above. I do agree though mine is an s line and the ride is pretty hard and the car is so low that speed bumps are a nightmare....anyway welcome to the forum!!!!
    3.0 TDI S Line Quattro Avant, Leather, Bose, Colour MMI Sat Nav, Phone, LED rear + Xenons