C5 or C6 What's the difference

clansman

Reaction score
To be honest I have been looking for an A4 S-line avant with sat nav & bluetooth in Red but they are like winning the lottery so have started looking at A6's bit bigger but seem to be easier to get a top spec for same or even less money !!! Seen a great Meteor Grey with ALL the goodies on 2010 plate. Question is what are the major differences between C5 / C6

C5 was replaced by C6 in 2004/5 and was launched in 1997 so is very old by comparison an the C6 is a much better car all round than than the C5. The C6 is now being replaced with the saloons being available since early this year and the Avant's just starting to ship. Late C6's such as the one you mention re well specced mast always with DVD sat nav, phone and leather, s-lines added the usual additions and there was also an s-line special edition (previously known as Le Mans) which added parking sensors, 19" wheels and heated seats, The new A6 (C7) shares its platform with the A7 and has a better ride than the C6 (often overly criticised by the motoring press in my opinion). You'll get the latest sat nav with the option to get google maps integration and keyless start. It also seems to have more space and you get the benefit of the latest engines with lower CO2, but the choice of engines is limited at present (only one petrol option for instance). You will inevitably pay more for a C7 than C6 and will likely find very few if any secondhand especially Avant's. Hope that helps

Reactions: xpoweruk
That helps me as i havent had an answer on the c6 or c7 pages.

I have an early 2011 plate le mans or SE model with all the luxes fore mentioned

So i take it i have a late c6.

Reactions: xpoweruk
C5 might ne rather old but that was the longest running a6 till now with great residuals and great mechanicals. In comparison the c6 does not ride any better, is lardier and the engines are a lot more complicated. As I work on them cars day in and out, I would take a c5 over a c6 anytime ! The later c7 has better engines but they are rather disappointing with the fuel economy !
Personally I would take a final edition c5 1.9 tdi over any car on the market: bullet proof motoring with decent comfort and good ride quality !