Turbo problem A6 2.5 TDi 150bhp Garage say i need a new one as the Variable Vane u/s

rich dj

2015 A4 Avant 2.0TDI SE Quattro 190 Technik
Reaction score
My Garage say i need a new turbo as the Variable Vane has jammed open and this is common on the 2.5 and 1.9 tdi around my millage 135000.
Ok so has anyone got any ideas where to get a good recon unit as i have tried injector cleaner and a very empty tank for 2 days now to no avail as he said this sometimes works.
Is this the best way to do things?
I also have an air con compressor fault which seems to now intermittently work when it feels like it as they have tested the pressure out and that what they say and gas level fine as when it works its ice cold.
I trust this garage i have been using it for some years now and he has a good reputation.
So do i spend ? on replacing the turbo as it has virtually no value without it and looks like im going to be without air con this summer.

there is a post about somewhere by evilscotsman where he describes cleaning the vnt vanes with oven cleaner through some vac hose. On my phone sorry so not got link but try a search. Think it was on a 1.9 a4 but exact principal applies

Yep found that one last nigh after much trawling.
I bought some oven cleaner and had a look today and found the 2.5 tdi turbo is mounted upside down compared with the 1.9 version so it would run directly in to the engine if i could get it in there so we decided to remove the turbo and have a go and found that the bearings in the turbo were shot causing it to rub on the sides and di not spin very well so i guess that's why it was not working.
So now to find a place where i can get a reconditioned turbo from poss within driving distance.

sorry about the suspect advice (it was late and i was on my phone so couldn't search) was removing the turbo an easy job after? sure mine could do with a clean if i can be bothered to take it off

I unfortunately didn't take it out as I wasn't brave enough but my mate who is a lorry mechanic did he also has some special tools ie a C shaped spanner set which he needed to take of exhaust nuts. It took him just over an hour whilst chatting and usual messing around.
It is tight removing it but needed two pairs of hands but maybe that was just us.
I have ordered the crankcase filter (as per well written thread from Audi-sport net http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/diesel...e-breather-2-5-v6-tdi-photos-description.html) and new gaskets and seals for it and also the new gaskets and seals for the turbo from Audi and nearly choked when he said it was 90 odd quid for those.
I am going to Essex turbo's today taking my old unit and exchanging it for a reconditioned unit which comes with actuator attached (due to the set up of boost i believe is critical due to the ecu seeing over boost).
Aprox £400 inc vat. I will let you know how i get on.

Just picked up a shiny recon turbo and it comes with 12 months unlimited millage warranty and a gasket kit with it.
We will fit it early Tomorrow morning so will let you know how i get on.

I'd check and clean the oil feed and return pipes and drop oil n filter if i was you too incase it was running a bit dry causing the bearings to go

I would upgrade the turbo instead of replacing with another original turbocharger... I have a low mileage GT2559v going spare, allmost plug and play on v6 tdi engines, needs tee-ing into the water/coolant circuit as it's water and oil cooled. Good to support over 250Bhp and increased heat output in winter due to the water cooling facility !

Reactions: HerefordQuattro
I went to Essex turbo's in the end as there not far from me and got a recon unit from them and fitted it on Thursday.
Poured a bit of oil in the oil feed and turned it over with the fuel off until oil gushed out of the feed pipe then cranked it up.
started and ran on tick over a while for it to lube and warm a bit and then gently drove down the road until it warmed and all good power is back again.
It was not quite back to normal to start with but as i have been driving with no turbo attached for well over a week i assumed the engine management changed itself to compensate and now after about 100 miles seem back to normal but with a bit more zip in it.
Thanks Essex turbo's good job and thanks Shane for fitting it.
I didn't see your post till too late about the low millage turbo, but thanks anyway.
Air con to sort now.