Rear wash wipe

Verne

Reaction score
I have a '98 A6 Avant and I've had a problem with my rear wash wipe for some time, where the wiper would stutter across the rear screen, stopping and starting whenever it wanted.
On top of that, some time ago the washer stopped working. You can hear the pump running but nothing gets to the screen.

Last week it decided that it wasn't going to turn off and just stuttered across the screen regardless of where the wiper stalk was positioned, until we stopped the car and turned off the ignition off.

Yesterday I fitted a new wiper motor and yippee, no more stuttering, just perfect clean sweeps :rock:

The bad news is, still no water :sos:

I had assumed that the old one had become blocked as part of it's general failure due to age, but the unit I've fitted is brand new, so surely it can't be due to blockage. If I disconnect the pipe and operate the stalk, water is flowing through the pipe, but when I connect it again - nothing.
You can see the pipe moving from the pressure, but does the pressure need to be a certain amount before forcing it's way through the new unit.

Will a new washer pump solve the problem.

Any help very much appreciated.

TIA

Sounds like it is the jets that are blocked. I presume the new wiper motor was just that and did not include the wiper arm assembly. If the new assembly includes the external part and thus new jets then I am not sure what the problem is unless they too are blocked. As a test you could try attaching an alternative source of water to the pipe on the motor assembly to see if water is getting through. As you are getting water through the pipe if the jets were clear then I would of expected some water to get through even it is was only a dribble. As you can see the pipe reacting to pressure I would doubt the problem is with the pump

It was a complete unit with new jets included - will try alternative water supply.

I had a similar problem with no washer on the rear screen. Try having a feel around the passenger footwell. There is a connection there which if it leaks will pour water into the footwell. The connection is very hard to find as it is within the wiring loom. The connectors that Audi use are very poor and can with age pull apart. I pushed mine back together and taped it up and all seem well.

Hi, I had a similar problem with the rear jet on mine. There are 2 joints that can come apart on the water pipe. One is in the bottom of the passenger side cubby hole by the rear light cluster. The second is behind the front L\H passenger kickplate. I posted up a pic in this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a6-s6-allroad-forum-c5-c6-chassis/109964-rear-washer-problem.html Don't be tempted to spray the washer too much as this is close to loads of connector blocks etc.