A6 auto - noise from brakes on moving off

hazey7

Reaction score
Hello all, my 3.0 TDI tiptronic makes a real creaking noise from the disc brakes when starting off. I do understand that due to the 'auto creep' the pads are still in contact with the discs for that split second before they are clear when moving off but I wonder if anyone has changed the make of pads or the type and that noise has gone away?

As I understand your post, you are setting off and allowing the "auto release" to take off the parking brake? While it is certainly tempting to use this "auto" feature, I never have (except to check it worked) because of the additional wear it imposes on the rear brakes. (also, probably wastes a small amount of fuel against the resistance of the brake) If you search for "replace rear brake pads" on here you will find that it is a long winded job and probably expensive for a dealer to do for you and unless you have vagcom or its new equivalent it is almost impossible to do yourself.
Easier and probably cheaper to just release the parking brake before you move off!
If I have got it wrong and you are talking about the noise just as the brakes are released, try taking your foot off the brake pedal quicker.

marsmail

Nope, not making handbrake release automatically, tried that once, didn't like it.

Release brakes faster. Right, got it.

Yes, I get the same when in slow stop start traffic. It's the torque overcoming the last bit of brake bite as you lessen the pressure. I also now let my foot off the brake quicker but don't touch the throttle in slow traffic. Can be tricky to be a smooth driver though as it's a trade off between sudden movement or noise. Probably aggravated by quattro as well so all wheels are 'chomping at the bit' so to speak.

Agreed, I was just hoping someone might say 'yes, but if you change to XXXX brake pads, they dont make a noise.... !!