AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

funny suspension noise after going over some bumps.

I've just been out in the S6 & was driving across a field, suddenly over a bump I heard what can be described as a "boing" type of knock noise, went over another bump, the same again. Didn't hear it again all the way home until I got back to my road when I heard it again .

I jacked up the front of the car, had a good look around the suspension & can't seen anything obvious, did both sides & dropped it back down. As soon as I sat back in the drivers seat I heard it again, took it down the road & could hear it quite loud over certain bumps.

My first thoughts were a broken spring or something with the anti roll bar but can't see anything broken or snapped.

Any ideas what it could be?
    Audi S6 Avant 4.2 V8 Quattro 340bhp, 19" OEM RS6 alloys, running on LPG.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Can I ask why you were driving a S6 over a field , on the noise side if it is a boing noise I would be looking for a dislocated spring or a snapped one, I drive offroad and was always dislocating my springs (in a land rover not the audi) all the time till i fitted dislocation cones, when you went over the bump the spring might have disloged from its seat, make sure the ends of the springs are located in the right position as where the coil spring stops at ie not top and bottom but the actuall ends of the coils themselves, they fit into locating places so not to rotate etc. hope this helps tell me what you find.
    Regards George

1st Gear

Status
    I was actually going to a car boot sale so it wasn't any off roading, I too have a Land Rover with dislocation cones for that kind of thing.

My first thought was maybe a snapped spring or even one may have dislocated a little but after another good inspection I can't find anything wrong with the springs at all. I have felt all the way round them in case of a small crack even, but doesn't feel like it. While I was under there I noticed that both upper arms on both sides have seen better days, the bushes look worn on all four but I can't imagine that causing it all of a sudden. There was no noise before I went over the small bump in the field & was definitely that, that made it happen, both me & the misses looked at each other as if to say "what was that?"

Neutral

Status
    Can you not fill the car with people open all windows and track down noise to one wheel, do you know if its front or back left or right ???????
    thats what i would do then strip offending corner sus out to check and refit.
    Regards George

1st Gear

Status
    That's an idea, pretty sure it is coming from the front right wheel, sounds like it anyway but that might be because I'm sat in the drivers seat.
    You could also hear it reversing & driving back onto the drive so I got the misses to stand outside to have a listen but she wasn't sure where it was coming from.

1st Gear

Status
    Ok, now I'm stumped! After spending hours the other day, twice on the jack, once on the ramps looking for this issue, pry bar & all............it has now disappeared! I've just been out in the car, drove 50 miles or so without hearing the noise once, I'd even forgotten all about by the end of the journey.

Thing is though it wasn't just one of those noises you really have to listen for, it was loud & didn't sound good!
    All I can say is Audi must be so well made they even have nanomachines fixing as you drive.....lol Our old allroad was the same, it would play funny buggers once in a while with the air suspension then nothing for like 5 months.